none
Can seem to get rid of (local?) custom fields RRS feed

• Question

• Need help... I can not remove local custom fields from Project Pro.

If I work locally, ie., Computer, I can use the Organizer to remove some custom fields that I want to get rid of.  If I log back on to "Computer" everything is as I would expect--the fields have remained deleted.

But when I try to connect to our server, these local fields that I deleted, have just reappeared!

I tried using the Organizer to remove these fields using the Field tab while I am connect to server, but in the list it does not provide other than project files that are open.  Interestingly, "Global (+ non-cached Enterprise)" is available in this list in other tabs of the Organizer, BUT with it selected I can not delete the object even if I wanted to.

Am I missing something???  Is there a bug?  Where are these fields coming from?  Can't be from the Enterprise template (they are e.g., blah blah (Number1), blah blah (Text2), blah blah (Cost1)).

I first notice that I may have need to clean up or I have a problem is when I saw them appear in the top portion of Filter Enterprise Resource custom fields drop down list when I did a Build Team from Enterprise.  See fields above RBS...

\Spiro Theopoulos, Montreal, QC (Canada)

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 6:47 PM

Answers

• Spiro --

I noticed exactly the same problem during the 18 months that I was employed by a biotech company.  The problem is that your Enterprise Global has become polluted by local fields.  Microsoft staff confirmed that this is theoretically impossible, and yet I managed to do this somehow with my employer's Project Server 2010 system.  Microsoft supplied us with a DB script that would delete the Enterprise Global file and then rebuild it from scratch.  Basically, that is the only way to remove the local fields.  If you want to do this, you may need to open an incident ticket with Microsoft Support and report this as a bug with the system.

Our company decided not to run the DB script, so we lived with the problem in Project Server 2010.  Microsoft assured us that when we migrated to Project Server 2013, the problem would go away.  That did not happen.  The problem still exists in the 2013 system as well, even though Microsoft said that this would not happen.  Good luck with this.  Please let us know how it all turns out for you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:39 PM

All replies

• Spiro --

I noticed exactly the same problem during the 18 months that I was employed by a biotech company.  The problem is that your Enterprise Global has become polluted by local fields.  Microsoft staff confirmed that this is theoretically impossible, and yet I managed to do this somehow with my employer's Project Server 2010 system.  Microsoft supplied us with a DB script that would delete the Enterprise Global file and then rebuild it from scratch.  Basically, that is the only way to remove the local fields.  If you want to do this, you may need to open an incident ticket with Microsoft Support and report this as a bug with the system.

Our company decided not to run the DB script, so we lived with the problem in Project Server 2010.  Microsoft assured us that when we migrated to Project Server 2013, the problem would go away.  That did not happen.  The problem still exists in the 2013 system as well, even though Microsoft said that this would not happen.  Good luck with this.  Please let us know how it all turns out for you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:39 PM
  • Hi Dale

I found another way to clean up our Enterprise Global Template in our Project Online instance!

We were testing/ using FluentPro, and realized that we were able to copy from one instance to another but without copying the corrupted Enterpirse Global Template (EGT).

Just clean up your local Global.mpt before trying to connect and editing your Enterprise Global Template, Otherwise you may end up corrupt your Enterprise Global Template (EGT) with garbage from your local machine even if you are not checked out the EGT.

Regards,

\Spiro Theopoulos, Montreal, QC (Canada)

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hey Spiro --

Thanks for sharing this.  It sounds like the FluentPro tool offers more benefits than we may realize!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:01 PM