none
DAG Required for DPM Backup of Exchange?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup DPM 2012 and am now backing up all my physical and virtual machines.  I went to do a test restore of an Exchange mailbox today, only to find that it is NOT backing up the Exchange components.  The Hyper-V node is backed up, but it is not recognizing it as an Exchange server.  After researching this I copied the ese.dll and eseutil.exe files from the Exchange server to the DPM/bin folder and rebooted, but the protection group still doesn't see Exchange.  I found information on-line that states DPM will only backup Exchange if it is in a DAG.  Is this true??  Do I have to go buy another Exchange server license just to get DPM to backup Exchange??

Joe

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

<snip>
    The Hyper-V node is backed up, but it is not recognizing it as an Exchange server. 
    >snip<

Are you saying that a hyper-V host has Exchange installed on it ?

<snip>
    I found information on-line that states DPM will only backup Exchange if it is in a DAG.
    >snip<

That is not a correct statement - please provide a link to that content.

In any case, no data source is backed up "automatically" - you need to expand the exchange server and select the exchange database you want to protect.  The red box outlines a standalone exchange 2010 server.  Right above that is an exchange DAG so you can see the difference.  DPM can protect both.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, if you want application backups like Exchange or SQL that run inside the Virtual machine, you must install the DPM agent inside the guest.  That guest will then appear as a physical server for you to expand and select the Exchange DB to protect.

Since both Hyper-V and exchange backups will cause logs to be truncated, you must add this registry key inside the exchange server so hyper-V backups will not truncate logs and allow DPM exchange backups to work properly.

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

<snip>
    The Hyper-V node is backed up, but it is not recognizing it as an Exchange server. 
    >snip<

Are you saying that a hyper-V host has Exchange installed on it ?

<snip>
    I found information on-line that states DPM will only backup Exchange if it is in a DAG.
    >snip<

That is not a correct statement - please provide a link to that content.

In any case, no data source is backed up "automatically" - you need to expand the exchange server and select the exchange database you want to protect.  The red box outlines a standalone exchange 2010 server.  Right above that is an exchange DAG so you can see the difference.  DPM can protect both.  

Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I'll look for that post about the DAG comment next time at that site.

You are correct that the Exchange Server is a Hyper-V Guest.

I'm not being presented with the option to select the individual server.  I went back and forth with MS on this before pulling the trigger on the DPM purchase.  I have the DPM agent installed only on the physical host, which I was assurred gave me the ability to back both the VHD files and the server as a separate entity.  Is the problem that I don't have an agent installed on the Exchange VM?  When I modify the protection group and expand the physical host, here is what I see:

Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, if you want application backups like Exchange or SQL that run inside the Virtual machine, you must install the DPM agent inside the guest.  That guest will then appear as a physical server for you to expand and select the Exchange DB to protect.

Since both Hyper-V and exchange backups will cause logs to be truncated, you must add this registry key inside the exchange server so hyper-V backups will not truncate logs and allow DPM exchange backups to work properly.

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:08 PM