Can't open a Word document after converting to .docx RRS feed

• Question

• I have a .doc file submitted by an associate. It opens fine in Word 2016, but when I convert to .docx and save, I can't reopen. I get this message: "We're sorry. We can't open [file name.docx] because we found a problem with its contents." The details are "Unspecified error. Location:  Part: /word/document.xml, LineL 0, Column: 0"

Steps I've tried:

1. Replicated the error locally and on the SharePoint library in which the error first occurred.
    2. Copied all the content from the .doc into a .docx (the error persisted)

I suspect that it's an XML error that could be fixed with an XML editor, but I'm curious why it's happening only after conversion.

Friday, August 26, 2016 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, how did you covert .doc file to .docx file? Did you save the file as .docx directly or via File- Info- Convert files?

If possible, you could send this file to our email address:

ibsofc@microsoft.com

Note: Please add the URL of the case in the email subject or body.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 29, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Thanks, I've emailed the files to the above address.

I tried both conversion methods, with the same results, except that File>Info>Convert results in a significantly larger file.

Monday, August 29, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hi Lucas,

I tested this document in my environment and I noticed that if I copy the data to a new Word file, if I past as data source this issue still exists. But if I past as text it will work fine.

In my opinion this problem may related to file formatting, but I didn't find where is the key of this problem.

Maybe you need to do a professional document repair to help you resolve this problem.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 5, 2016 3:21 AM
  • Thanks for looking into it.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:35 PM