Published shortcut 'Start in' field RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an application that needs to start in a directory located on the c:\ of the host machine.  During sequencing this all appears to be captured however when the application is published the 'Start in' field on the shortcut is blank and consequently the application fails to launch.

I can manually amend the 'Start in' location with the appropriate directory details which allows the application to run but this really needs to be captured as part of the shortcut.

The shortcut itself is run from an exe on a network share.

We are running the app-v 5.1 environment.

Thanks

Stephen

Monday, January 25, 2016 12:55 PM

Answers

• A simple test. Open up the Appxmanifest.xml file and check the <WorkingDirectory> tag, whether any entry has been made by the sequencer. In my case, I set Startin to c:\ and so I am seeing

<WorkingDirectory>[{AppVPackageDrive}]\</WorkingDirectory>

If not you can edit the Appxmanifest file using App-V 5.1 sequencer or you can edit the DeploymentConfig.xml file and change the values in the <WorkingDirectory> to your value and test it in the client end using the below command.

Add-AppvClientPackage -Path "test.appv"  -DynamicDeployConfiguration "test_DeploymentConfig.xml"

Or if you are publishing it to the users, you can edit the UserConfig.xml to target to the user.

Publish-AppvClientPackage test -DynamicUserConfigurationPath "test_UserConfig.xml"

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

Wish to add MVP behind my name :)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Vinodreddy597 Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scoop180 Monday, February 1, 2016 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:49 PM

All replies

• Running an executable from a network share shouldn't be a problem, as App-V 5.1 supports shortcuts to executables on a network share.

I couldn't get your query properly. Could you post the error or App-V client event viewer logs so that we can analyze and provide solutions.

Monday, January 25, 2016 1:23 PM
  • There is no error to post as such.  The only issue is the 'Start In' field of the shortcut to the exe on the network is blank.  This needs to be populated with the following unc path of each host machine the application is launched on....

c:\LIMS_LIVE\Client

There is a server.sys file here which contains connection configuration details needed for the user to be able to connect to the back end resources.

I can manually add this into the visualised shortcut so when launched within the virtual environment all the pre-reqs kick in and the application starts up with no issues.

I just need the 'Start in' field populated with the correct details within the app-v package for when it is streamed to the users machines.

Thanks

Stephen

Monday, January 25, 2016 1:40 PM
  • During sequencing, did you checked whether the network shortcut has start in parameters? I just tried a package in my test lab and see no issues.

Monday, January 25, 2016 1:56 PM
  • The only parameter is the c:\LIMS_LIVE\Client which is manually added in as part of the installation process to the start in field.  I don't understand why this isn't being captured during sequencing.

The shortcut itself is captured no problem but without the details in the start in field being populated it doesn't work.

What exactly did you do in your test lab?  Did you sequence the short cut and then add the unc path on the host machine to reflect the config file where you want the shortcut to start in? 

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:34 PM
  • During the configuration phase in the sequencer, I manually edited the shortcut and added C:\ in the Startin and see that it's getting reflected in the client end after publishing.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:14 AM
  • A simple test. Open up the Appxmanifest.xml file and check the <WorkingDirectory> tag, whether any entry has been made by the sequencer. In my case, I set Startin to c:\ and so I am seeing

<WorkingDirectory>[{AppVPackageDrive}]\</WorkingDirectory>

If not you can edit the Appxmanifest file using App-V 5.1 sequencer or you can edit the DeploymentConfig.xml file and change the values in the <WorkingDirectory> to your value and test it in the client end using the below command.

Add-AppvClientPackage -Path "test.appv"  -DynamicDeployConfiguration "test_DeploymentConfig.xml"

Or if you are publishing it to the users, you can edit the UserConfig.xml to target to the user.

Publish-AppvClientPackage test -DynamicUserConfigurationPath "test_UserConfig.xml"

• Proposed as answer by Vinodreddy597 Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scoop180 Monday, February 1, 2016 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:49 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you both for replying to my post it has been very helpful.
    I was able to get the issue resolved and the shortcut now reflects the start in location on the local c:\.
    I was able to set the appropriate parameters for the shortcut in the deploymentconfig.xml file using the AppV Config Editor.

Regards
    Stephen
    Monday, February 1, 2016 1:07 PM