why my .vhd file have 357gb size and consuming my drive C space. RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on it, it goes straight to drive D. also it will not be deleted .. How can I remove it without losing the files saved in my drive D?

Sunday, July 19, 2020 12:46 PM

Answers

• Hi vaven

Thank you for your question. According to your description, the VHD file could has been mounted as your D drive. To confirm this, please open the Disk Management and check if any VHD file is mounted. A VHD file could be mounted like this

If yes, before deleting the VHD file, you could right click on the disk and select Detach VHD. Please backup your files to another physical drive before detaching the VHD if you don't want to lose your files.

As the VHD file keeps consuming your C drive space, it could be configured as dynamically expanding. The size will keep increasing as more data are written to the virtual disk. 

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Ian Xue Monday, July 20, 2020 9:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by vaven Monday, July 27, 2020 12:13 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2020 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi vaven

Thank you for your question. According to your description, the VHD file could has been mounted as your D drive. To confirm this, please open the Disk Management and check if any VHD file is mounted. A VHD file could be mounted like this

If yes, before deleting the VHD file, you could right click on the disk and select Detach VHD. Please backup your files to another physical drive before detaching the VHD if you don't want to lose your files.

As the VHD file keeps consuming your C drive space, it could be configured as dynamically expanding. The size will keep increasing as more data are written to the virtual disk. 

Best Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Ian Xue Monday, July 20, 2020 9:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by vaven Monday, July 27, 2020 12:13 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2020 9:11 AM
  • Hi vaven,

Is there any update? Have you got a chance to verify above suggestions?

Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed. If the above reply is helpful, please mark it as answer.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 3:13 AM
  • Hi, just want to confirm the current situations. If the above reply is helpful, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find it easier.

Friday, July 24, 2020 9:58 AM
  • Thank you very much . it works ! 
    Monday, July 27, 2020 12:22 PM
  • Glad to hear that. You're welcom.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 9:06 AM