none
Win 2003 File server can't see new Domain name

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I just finished perform the domain name change from ABC to XYZ.COMPANY.COM

Everything is working as expected, all workstations and Servers are able to see and login to new domain name except for 1 server. This server is Windows 2003 with the function of fileserver and secondary domain controller.  For some reason, this DC is not working correct prior the domain name change. During the domain name change, I have to deleted this Win 2003 DC from 2012 Primary DC.  

After the the domain name change completed, this Win2003 Fileserver/DC can't see the new domain name.  I'm still able to login with old domain name.

How to get this Win 2003 server to see new domain name without breaking all the share files permission.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Key

Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Key,

"For the domain rename operation to be complete, every domain controller in the forest must be contacted and updated. If you declare your domain rename operation complete without updating some number of domain controllers because you could not contact them, you must remove all the domain controllers that you could not contact from the forest."

Quote from the article below:

How Domain Rename Works

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738208(v=ws.10).aspx

Please try to rename the Domain Controller.

Renaming a Domain Controller

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794951(v=ws.10).aspx

In addition, please note that support for Windows Server 2003 has ended, I suggest you upgrade OS to get further support.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Eric Anto Monday, December 19, 2016 12:24 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 9:28 AM
  • Originally, I had 3 DC: 2012 Primary, 2012 Secondary, 2003 secondary (not working correctly)

During the rename process, I have to "Deleted" 2003 DC.

Once the rename process is completed, all servers/workstation are on new Domain accept for Win 2003 DC which is still on old name.  Since this DC is also file sharing server, please help me to bring this server to new domain without the loss from filesharing permission.

Regards,

key

Monday, December 19, 2016 7:42 PM