none
How to reflect Resource Availability & the associated Cost RRS feed

• Question

• How do I reflect when  resources are unavailable for use on a project (they are in training), yet still be able to reflect the cost of their unavailability in MS Project Server?
    • Edited by Dree Holmes Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:13 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Dree,

Do you use Timesheets at all? If yes, then you could define an Administrative Bucket called "External Training" as non-working time, then let the users "plan" their out of office time there. This automatically creates exceptions in their calendars, so that Project schedule move accordingly.

As for indicating the cost of unavailability, I guess if it is purely the hours they are out of office, you could easily generate a report from the timesheet data.

if you are NOT using timesheets, I guess, then, you could modify the resource calendars, and add exceptions there, which will cause the project to adjust based on the unavailability. The reporting on this is somewhat difficult, though, for you calculate Cost of Unavailability.

Other may have more suggestions.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:21 PM
  • Dree:

What do you mean by "reflect the cost of their unavailability?" Are you trying to accrue the cost of the training to the project? If so, create a task for the training. Are you trying to show that tasks will be delayed? If so, create a calendar exception as Prasanna suggests.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, January 19, 2015 11:33 AM