none
DPM 2012 R2 and Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster secondary protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 2 DPM servers, primary which is located at our datacenter and secondary which is in our DR site. I've been backing up VM's from Hyper-V 2008R2 servers and also created secondary protection for these VM's to our DR site.

Now I have created new 3 node Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster and the VM's are migrated to this cluster. I've noticed now after the migration that I cannot create secondary protection for these protected VM's that are located in the cluster. Is this something that is not supported or am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Kind Regards,

Matti

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:39 AM

All replies

• Ahh, never mind, I figured it out :)

Matti

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Ahh, never mind, I figured it out :)

Matti

Would be interesting to know the solution :)

Thx /Tony

• Edited by fahlis Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:03 PM typoerror
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Sorry, it's been quite a busy day. I found an article from technet that explained that "DPM chaining" is not supported in 2012. You can find the article here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj656645.aspx.

So, what you have to do is, you have to configure secondary DPM servers name also to protection agents on all Hyper-V server that are in the cluster (SetDpmServer.exe -Add -dpmServerName secondarydpm.domain.local). Then you have to attach the Hyper-V servers to secondary DPM. After this, you can create new protection group on the secondary DPM server and select cluster node under the primary DPM and select VM's to backup:)

Kind Regards,

Matti

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Hi Matti,

Thanks for the explanation. Seems to me that some features are sadly gone in DPM 2012 R2.

P2V and now also Chaining :(

So how have you configured PTGs in DPM1 versus DPM2 in regards to settings for retention and backup schedules?

I´m thinking here about BPA for optimized backups so that the schedule on DPM1 don´t stop the one on DPM2 so to speak.

Thx /Tony

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Hi Tony,

I can confirm that "DPM chaining" still works if you have 2008R2 Hyper-V servers that are not in cluster, I think it´s not supported only on clusters (or then it's the hyper-v servers version, not sure). I still have non clustered 2008R2 Hyper-V servers running and these VM backups work normally as in previous DPM versions.

I have sheduled DPM1 to take most of the VM backups during night time and DPM 2 syncs the backups mostly during day time (with bandwidth throttling enabled during working hours, since the DR site is also a site office with not as fast connection :)).

Although there are many "critical" backups that are taken many times per day, like Exchange and file servers that are synced every 1 hours to DPM1 and only few times a day to DPM2.

PS. The DPM2 is still taking backups from the DPM1 as previously in chaining, because I cannot see any snapshot volumes to be created in storage while DPM's are syncin clustered VM backups to DPM2. It justs needs the connection to cluster nodes. This is weird :)

Kind Regards,

Matti

Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:06 AM