none
IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 SCSI Sequential Device is write-protected. (ID 30003 Details: The media is write protected (0x80070013) RRS feed

• Question

• During our last monthly backup to tape, DPM 2010 sent this message : 

Type: Tape backup

Description: The tape  (barcode - ) present in the Stand Alone Drive Tape Library IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 SCSI Sequential Device is write-protected. (ID 30003 Details: The media is write protected (0x80070013))
    More information
    End time: 16/08/2011 16:52:21
    Start time: 16/08/2011 16:51:49
    Time elapsed: 00:00:32
    Data transferred: 0 MB
    Cluster node -
    Source details: OCTIME\OCTIME\master
    Protection group: 1-Octime Server
    Library: IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 SCSI Sequential Device
    Tape Label (Barcode): (None)
    The tape IS NOT write protected. It is exactly the same tape as the  other tapes we used before (Sony LTX800G)
    I asked DPM to erase the tape and it worked fine. Only backup doesn't work.
    Tabe backup has been running smoothly for several month until the august backup.
    Can someone help ?
    Regards.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:14 PM

Answers

• I did all kind of tests using Dell's ITDT diagnostic tool. I reset the drive and the "write to tape" test was OK so I ran the backup job again, and surprise! It works  :-)

I really don't know what happened. Maybe reseting the tape drive with the ITDT tool did something. Thank you for your help anyways.

Regards.

Nicolas.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM is just reporting the status from the tape device at the time we tried to write to it.  DPM is victim of something going wrong at the device level.  You might want to also keep track of any media that has this problem and don't use it any more if it happens again.

GENERAL known instances where this might be a reoccuring problem:

1) The media used is not write compatible with the device.

The specification for LTO media dictates that tape drives can support and allow read/write for their generation as well as the previous generation but for any that are more than one generation in difference it will only allow read access.

So, for example, an LTO-4 drive can read/write LTO-4, can read/write LTO-3, can read LTO-2, and is incompatible with LTO-1.

2) Firmware of the device needs updating: - write protection error
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/30770afa-a09c-4ce9-8340-1685cd443c9e

3) This can happen with software bases VTL (like Firestreamer) if:
    A. License has not been updated
    B. No write access to associated fsrm file
    C. No space for fsrm file to grow.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Thank you for your answer, but how can you explain that DPM can erase the tape just fine and not write to it when doing a backup ?
    Firmware is already the latest available.
    Tape used is exactly the same as other backup tapes used before.
    Tape backup has been running smoothly for 6 months until now, and nothing has changed on the server. 

Regards.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

A tape erase is a function of the tape drive itself not something that DPM physically does.  It's just a simple scsi ioctl command sent to the tape drive, and the tape drive does the actual erasing.   However, when DPM does a backup to tape, we perform a write operation, and that write fails with the status "write protected" and we simply report that status (error) to the user. 

I'm unclear if this only occured once, or if you cannot backup at all to the tape drive now.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I did all kind of tests using Dell's ITDT diagnostic tool. I reset the drive and the "write to tape" test was OK so I ran the backup job again, and surprise! It works  :-)

I really don't know what happened. Maybe reseting the tape drive with the ITDT tool did something. Thank you for your help anyways.

Regards.

Nicolas.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:02 AM