Service pack and cumulative upgrade and PDF ifilter? RRS feed

• Question

• So, we are at MOSS 2007 SP1 right now. I am planning an upgrade to SP3. I just ran across a video presentation by MS tech that mentions that one needs to "Reinstall Foxit PDF Ifilter after installing upgrade". Having inherited this system, I never installed an ifilter before.

This video presentation is old - covers going to SP1 I think. Is this recommendation still something for which I need to track down instructions and do, or do the current service packs and updates leave the ifilter alone?

Is there an stsadm command or something that shows me what ifilters are installed? Is there a microsoft gallery of the current versions of these ifilters?

Thank you!

Friday, May 18, 2012 2:42 PM

Answers

• if it is the foxit iFilter, then you should find a Foxit folder in the program files folder. Other than Foxit, itcould only be the Adobe one and that one is also installed with an installer package. Eiter way you can find out using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

Dirk Van den Berghe

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Monday, May 21, 2012 1:34 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 11:40 AM

All replies

• My experience is the same. After each service pack and sometimes even cumulative updates, the Foxit PDF iFilter needs to be reinstalled. This process is quite simple actually and only needs to be performed on the server doing the search crawling. Execute the setup for installing PDF iFilter and select the option to remove it. It is a click - Next - Finish operation and then just repeat that process for installing it again. Takes 2 minutes, no restart required. If you do not do this you will see that the contents of new PDF files will no longer be indexed.

I did not need to reinstall any ther iFilters following a Service Pack. Only the Foxit one has this issue to my knowledge.

Dirk Van den Berghe

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:00 AM
  • I know there is some kind of filter for PDFs in place on the machines. However, I don't know if it is the Foxit PDF iFilter or something else. I am still trying to figure out where the thing to install is - I am guessing the install package is somewhere on the machine... I am still trying to locate it.
    Monday, May 21, 2012 11:36 AM
  • if it is the foxit iFilter, then you should find a Foxit folder in the program files folder. Other than Foxit, itcould only be the Adobe one and that one is also installed with an installer package. Eiter way you can find out using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

Dirk Van den Berghe

• Marked as answer by lwvirden Monday, May 21, 2012 1:34 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Ah ha! When I look in Add/Remove, I see Adobe PDF IFilter 6.0. Now I know what I am looking for. In fact, I went to the adobe web site, took a look at that file, found the file name, and located it on my machine. Thank you SO much!
    Monday, May 21, 2012 1:34 PM