none
Any Project Server user group in Twin Cities area? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I wold like very mcuh to know if there is such a group. We are going to implement Project Server 2013, and would like to talk to some who have already done it, or are in use of Project Server.

Twin Cities--Minneapolis, St. Paul and surrounding metro area. 

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:17 PM

Answers

• MPUG (Microsoft Project User Group) is generally a good resource for scenarios like this. There seems to be a chapter for Twin Cities as well: http://twincities.mpug.com/

I am not sure if Larry Christafaro is still the president of this chapter, but if yes, is a great guy to talk to, and could help you out.

In addition almost all the active answerers here in this forum, have done atleast one if not many Project Server implementations. You could contact any one of us as well, if you have any specific questions about the implementation.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:32 PM

All replies

• MPUG (Microsoft Project User Group) is generally a good resource for scenarios like this. There seems to be a chapter for Twin Cities as well: http://twincities.mpug.com/

I am not sure if Larry Christafaro is still the president of this chapter, but if yes, is a great guy to talk to, and could help you out.

In addition almost all the active answerers here in this forum, have done atleast one if not many Project Server implementations. You could contact any one of us as well, if you have any specific questions about the implementation.

Cheers,

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:32 PM
  • Thank you Prasanna for the kind words.  I do lead the local Twin Cities chapter and would be happy to provide additional information or answer any questions you might have.  Please reach out to me if you want to touch base.  You can find me on LinkedIn, ping me through twincities@mpug.com, or email me at lchristofaro@epmsolutionpartners.com.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Larry Christofaro, PMP, MCITP

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:51 PM
  • Thank you both Prasanna Adavi and Larry Christafaro. I just want to make sure I am contacting the right group mpug regarding Project Server, not Project 2013, even though the 2 products are related.

So, would MPUG be best place to start? I tried using a search engine, and some of the answers are very old (2009, 2008, etc.)--that's why I am coming to this forum.  

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 4:29 PM
  • HC_project_manager,

Yes, MPUG addresses both Project and Project Server discussions..:). The discussion on MPUG site may not be a best representation, because most people use these TechNet forums for any questions.

However, since this is a "user group", my thought was you will get to talk to other 'users', and not just consultants and consulting companies.

Cheers,

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:27 PM
  • MPUG is an all encompassing group for Microsoft Project, Project Server, and Project Online; as Prasanna states. Many of our sessions do focus on Project Server, and the ones that are more Project related tend to always include the connection with Project Server.  Our local audience is primarily Project Server users, administrators, and consultants.  MPUG also provides several live global webinars monthly along with access to probably hundreds of past presentations for you to view on demand. I feel comfortable that you will like both the global access and local opportunity to mix with others who support Project and Project Server.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Thanks again. Should I continue my more specific questions (1) here at the Forum or (2) should I start pinging Larry or (3) join TC MPUG to tap into past webinars, information, etc.? And (4) if it is the Forum, will my questions still go under this "general" section--I suppose it will be.

For example, there are roles of resource manager and project manager in Project Server, and project manager can approve tasks, I am not sure (havene't learn it yet) whether for time sheet approval, can the project manager approve time sheets? (5) What I am trying to drive at is in our organization (role-culture), if we do Project Server, how much of organizational change management and process change do we need to consider?      

My background:

I am completely new to Project Server, took a 2-day training in March on Task/scheduling--the basics as project manager using Project Server 2013, will be taking an admin course in early April, though I will not be the Project Server system admin. Finished reading the blue book by Chefetz. Am reading his orange book. Soon I need to be combing information on this technet for Project Server information.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Feel free to ping me at twincities@mpug.com or my direct email above and I can (1) answer any MPUG questions you have, and (2) help you though most of your general Project Server questions a lot easier than one email at a time. I'm happy to help...

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:40 PM
  • ok, thanks, Larry. I will contact you via my work email.
    Friday, March 27, 2015 8:15 PM
  • Great, glad to help...

Friday, March 27, 2015 10:11 PM