Migrate to Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I pass on to detail the current platform:

Two companies that share the same domain and same Exchange organization (Company A and Company Z).

Domain Name: ABC.local

Active Directory 2008 R2

AD Schema Version: 2008 R2

Exchange

Mailbox: Failover Cluster CCR in Exchange 2007 SP3 (2 servers)

HUB / CAS: NLB Exchange Server 2007 SP3 (2 servers)

Email Address Policy Company A: * @ testA.com

Email Address Policy Company Z: * @ testZ.com

The two companies are separating, leaving one with the current domain and current Exchange organization, and the second company will be migrated to a new domain in a new forest, becoming totally independent of each other.

This is the architecture that we want to have the second company to be migrated:

Domain Name: XYZ.local

Active Directory 2008 R2

AD Schema Version: 2008 R2

Exchange

Mailbox: Exchange 2010 SP3 DAG (2 servers)

HUB / CAS NLB Exchange Server 2010 SP3 and Client Acces Array (2 servers)

Email Address Policy: * @ testZ.com

For migration ADMT 3.2 was used. For migration to Exchange 2010 Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 be used

I arise the following questions:

1. - We have 1000 users to migrate, so the user migration will take place between 10 to 15 days. When users are migrated to the new Exchange platform, as these migrated users can receive emails?? There is a possibility that during this transition the organization to Exchange 2007 send mails to mailboxes migrated to Exchange 2010??

2. - It is not intended to change the email address policy for the company Z, which will be migrated. From what I understand that until all users are migrated, you can not change the public MX. But be also be delivered to the e-migrated users? What steps and in what order should continue for the MX settings?

3. - The steps we plan to carry out are:

- Prepare the user's mailbox (Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1)

- Migrate the user

- Migrate Mailbox

- Migrate Team

Are these steps correct? The order is correct? Do you think that something is missing, or I have to take into account some other aspect?

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Do I understand correctly that you already has migrated the user accounts with ADMT?
    If that is the case, then you have three more steps to go and those are:

1. ADMT
    2. MailEnable accounts
    3. Prepare-Moverequest
    4. New-Moverequest

All of these steps have I previously written about in this thread so check that out and let us know if you have any questions.

What I always do before I press the magic button, is to prepare all users, even if I don't do a "big bang" (that happens too) and the reason is simple... I don't want any users complaining about NDRs due to Outlook Cache (LegacyExchangeDN) and I want all users to have a complete GAL to download when they have been migrated.

I don't change the MX-record until all mailboxes has been migrated but that is a matter of choice. Messages will be delivered to the Mailbox wherever its stored (source or target)

Martina Miskovic

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tropoglar Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Not a problem since you will need to use a second SMTP Domain for routing to work between the two ORGs.
    Example: -TargetDeliveryDomain testz.local

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Tropoglar Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Do I understand correctly that you already has migrated the user accounts with ADMT?
    If that is the case, then you have three more steps to go and those are:

1. ADMT
    2. MailEnable accounts
    3. Prepare-Moverequest
    4. New-Moverequest

All of these steps have I previously written about in this thread so check that out and let us know if you have any questions.

What I always do before I press the magic button, is to prepare all users, even if I don't do a "big bang" (that happens too) and the reason is simple... I don't want any users complaining about NDRs due to Outlook Cache (LegacyExchangeDN) and I want all users to have a complete GAL to download when they have been migrated.

I don't change the MX-record until all mailboxes has been migrated but that is a matter of choice. Messages will be delivered to the Mailbox wherever its stored (source or target)

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Tropoglar Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for answering,

I have not migrated anything, I'm working in a virtual pilot where migration recreate.
    I can not perform migration all at once, I have to go for parts as there are many other services involved.
    My questions are concerning the Exchange organizations, in the time that the two organizations are operating, with users and mailboxes in boths.
    As I have to set the first organization, so that when the first migrating users and their mailboxes, still being able to send emails and most importantly they can receive emails, because at that point the MX pointed to the first organization.
    Do I have to create a connector between the two and if there comes a migrated mail to a user, the home organization having no such mailbox, give it to the target organization?
    Does the same problem I see with the GAL, how I can solve these problems?

Thank you very much for your help.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Hi,
    Did you read the information in the other thread that I posted a link to?
    In there we do discuss hos routing works, connectors and MX.

Martina Miskovic

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Are these virtual servers?  I have performed a similar company split where I powered off Exchange and AD (and any other servers that were needed) and cloned them.  I brought them back up on a different subnet, seized all of the AD roles and then made sure Exchange was working.  This was for about 500 users though and you may not have the luxury of shutting down or performing these steps...just a thought though :)

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Another important fact that I forgot to say, is that the SMTP namespace is the same for both the organization of origin and destination:
    * @ testZ.com

Does this pose any problem for mail delivery to mailboxes and migrated as receive emails the home organization and not having that box, you have to deliver it to the destination?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:02 PM
  • Not a problem since you will need to use a second SMTP Domain for routing to work between the two ORGs.
    Example: -TargetDeliveryDomain testz.local

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Tropoglar Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Thanks Martina,

I was thinking, and if it will not be my idea.
    Organization would be set in the current authoritative domain as internal relay domain.
    And destination Organizaction settings as authoritative domain.
    If I do this configuration, the emails would be delivered in the source mailbox and there but, for delivery in the destination organization? Obviously setting also send connector.
    As I have read in:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676395 (v = EXCHG.80). aspx

I can confirm that this is so? A domain internal relay also delivers messages in the local organization and it exists the mailbox in the organization forwards it to another organization?

Thank you very much.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:30 PM