none
Cloning Lab domain with AD , MS SQL , MS exchange Windows 2012

Question

• Hi , 

I am trying to build a lab environment with 4 servers (4 VMs)  where will be AD Server ,MS SQL Server , MS Exchange  Server will be done some configuration changes and some third party application will be installed .I am looking for  ability clone these 4 servers and provide the same environment for multiple labs .

Can I clone all together ? Can change name of the domain and changes IPs ? 
    Do kind of Sysprep for multiple server with ability to restore them to same system with new name 

I know Windows 2012 now support Clone of AD.

I found instruction for Domain rename as well

I found instructions for cloning SQL server as well

I believe cloning of exchange with clone of AD also possible. I just trying to understand is it possible alltogether

Thank you,
    • Edited by Dan_tilt Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:58 AM

All replies

• Why do you need to change the domain, IP, etc?

Put the VMs behind a router/NAT VM and leave the VMs as is.  Since it's a lab environment, you shouldn't need to worry about changing all that stuff, plus its easier to create docs when every lab is the same.

Use a Win server with RRAS or get a free Linux router VM distro, appliance, or install your own.  Definitely a lot easier than making internal changes to multiple VMs.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:10 AM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:04 AM
  • It is organizational requirements . We cannot have 10 labs with same domain /same IPs .

WE want to have reference to teams /geographical location with names.

in some case we need to ship images on the harddrvies to the lab where all IPs already configured and they want integrate it in their involvement .

so environment where these VM will be restored not always the same / same network , etc.

Friday, April 7, 2017 3:17 AM
  • Hi Sir,

AFAIK , it is feasible if you just need to change IP address .

Domain controller might be the most  important component:

http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/Changing-the-IP-address-on-a-domain-controller

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4fda8b3c-fe95-429a-8423-d31a80c04ee1/ip-address-change-domain-controller?forum=winserveripamdhcpdns

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 9, 2017 10:03 AM