Exchange 2007 - OAB issues RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a client who's having issues with the OAB.

Outlook is getting the correct URL. The issue seems to be that the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ExchangeOAB\<guid> directory is empty, regardless of how many times I update the default offline address list in EMC. 

results of get-offlineaddressbook|fl - 

Server                          : CORRECTSERVER
    AddressLists                    : {\Default Global Address List}
    Versions                        : {Version2, Version3, Version4}
    IsDefault                       : True
    PublicFolderDatabase            : INCORRECTSERVER\First Storage Group\Public Folder St
                                      ore (INCORRECTSERVER)
    PublicFolderDistributionEnabled : True
    WebDistributionEnabled          : True
    DiffRetentionPeriod             : 30
    Schedule                        : {Sun.5:00 AM-Sun.5:15 AM, Mon.5:00 AM-Mon.5:1
                                      5 AM, Tue.5:00 AM-Tue.5:15 AM, Wed.5:00 AM-We
                                      d.5:15 AM, Thu.5:00 AM-Thu.5:15 AM, Fri.5:00
                                      AM-Fri.5:15 AM, Sat.5:00 AM-Sat.5:15 AM}
    VirtualDirectories              : {CORRECTSERVER\OAB (Default Web Site)}
    ExchangeVersion                 : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
    AdminDisplayName                :
    Name                            : Default Offline Address List
    DistinguishedName               : CN=Default Offline Address List,CN=Offline Ad
                                      dress Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=DOMAIN
                                      ,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configu
                                      ration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=local
    Identity                        : \Default Offline Address List
    Guid                            : 2cb58654-2373-4e9b-a31d-476d22901e34
    ObjectCategory                  : DOMAIN.local/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-OAB
    ObjectClass                     : {top, msExchOAB}
    WhenChanged                     : 6/27/2013 9:35:01 AM
    WhenCreated                     : 3/7/2003 3:03:51 PM
    OriginatingServer               : DC.DOMAIN.local
    IsValid                         : True

One thing I notice is that the PublicFolderDatabase entry is listing an old server no longer on the domain. I was under the impression that Exchange 2007 doesn't use public folders for OAB though(?). Any ideas?

TIA!

• Edited by Alceryes Friday, June 28, 2013 4:28 PM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 4:23 PM

Answers

• Incorrect = server listed hasn't existed in 3+years

I have completely removed the public folder distribution and am attempting to get it working with just web-based distribution. I have removed the public folder database entry and unchecked public folder distribution in EMC but Exchange is still not populating the ExchangeOAB\<guid> folder. The old server was actually an Exchange 2000 and the current one is 2007.

Any ideas?

EDIT - This is looking a little more serious. If I open up ADSIedit and go to -- CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<name>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<name>,DC=local...

The only server listed is the old Exchange 2000 server that was decommissioned over 3 years ago. Does this mean that a proper migration was never done?

Remove the OAB and create a new one. Or create a new one and make it the default. You can remove the old one later.

I can't tell you if a migration was done, but I can tell you that the Exchange software was never removed from the 2003 server.

If you still have a machine that has the 2003 management tools on it you can try selecting the server and deleting it. That may, or may not, work.

Here's just one of many pointers on how to remove that server:

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2003/migration-deployment/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html

However, that should not be part of this thread.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

• Marked as answer by Alceryes Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:53 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 6:30 PM

All replies

• Exchange 2007 doesn't have to use public folders but your OAB is configured to use them. Remove the public folder distribution and just leave the web distribution.

Is the "Microsoft Exchange File Distribution" running? Are any errors or warnings logged if you stop and restart the service?

If you run "Update-FileDistributionService <server> -type oab" do you see a successful Event-ID 1008 from the source MSExchangeFDS in the application log? If you don't, then up the event logging level (see the two cmdlets below) and rerun the update-filedistributionservice cmdlet.
    •Set-EventLog -Identity “MsExchangeFDS\General -Level Expert
    •Set-EventLog -Identity “MsExchangeFDS\FileReplication -Level Expert

Don't forget to set the logging levels back to "Lowest" when you're done.

What errors are logged?

Is the directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ExchangeOAB" shared as ExchangeOAB"? Is that share allowing the "SYSTEM" account Full Control? Does the SYSTEM account have Full Control permission on the "guid" directory beneath the ExchangeOAB directory?

Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Thx for the reply Rich.

If I restart the Microsoft Exchange File Distribution service I do receive a successful 1008 event but I also receive a 1022 Warning that is couldn't find the oab.xml file. This is true, as the directory it's checking is completely empty. The ExchangeOAB directory is shared as 'ExchangeOAB' and SYSTEM has full control on the GUID directory beneath.

I am actually unable to remove the public folder distribution for the OAB. I get the following error and have to re-check it to close the window...

The offline address book "\Default Offline Address List" is not able to generate version 2 or 3 when public folder distribution is disabled.

any suggestions?

TIA!

• Edited by Alceryes Monday, July 1, 2013 1:55 PM addition
    Monday, July 1, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Thx for the reply Rich.

If I restart the Microsoft Exchange File Distribution service I do receive a successful 1008 event but I also receive a 1022 Warning that is couldn't find the oab.xml file. This is true, as the directory it's checking is completely empty. The ExchangeOAB directory is shared as 'ExchangeOAB' and SYSTEM has full control on the GUID directory beneath.

I am actually unable to remove the public folder distribution for the OAB. I get the following error and have to re-check it to close the window...

The offline address book "\Default Offline Address List" is not able to generate version 2 or 3 when public folder distribution is disabled.

any suggestions?

TIA!

What about permission on the ExchangeOAB share? SYSTEM should have Full Control there. It should also have Full Control on the ExchangeOAB directory (inherited).

What about the Background Intelligent Transfer Service? Is it running?

You might want to remove the OAB and create a new one to correct that problem with the public folder server. You say it's "incorrect" -- does that mean the database isn't there at all? Does the 2010 server have a PF database? Have the OAB folders been replicated to the 2010 server?

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:46 AM

I have completely removed the public folder distribution and am attempting to get it working with just web-based distribution. I have removed the public folder database entry and unchecked public folder distribution in EMC but Exchange is still not populating the ExchangeOAB\<guid> folder. The old server was actually an Exchange 2000 and the current one is 2007.

Any ideas?

EDIT - This is looking a little more serious. If I open up ADSIedit and go to -- CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<name>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<name>,DC=local...

The only server listed is the old Exchange 2000 server that was decommissioned over 3 years ago. Does this mean that a proper migration was never done?

• Edited by Alceryes Friday, July 5, 2013 3:55 PM added info
    Friday, July 5, 2013 3:07 PM

Any ideas?

Remove the OAB and create a new one. Or create a new one and make it the default. You can remove the old one later.

I can't tell you if a migration was done, but I can tell you that the Exchange software was never removed from the 2003 server.

If you still have a machine that has the 2003 management tools on it you can try selecting the server and deleting it. That may, or may not, work.

Here's just one of many pointers on how to remove that server:

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2003/migration-deployment/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html

However, that should not be part of this thread.

• Marked as answer by Alceryes Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:53 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 6:30 PM
  • I tried to create a new OAB and Exchange isn't creating the new ExchangeOAB\<guid> folder (and I'm getting the same error in Outlook when trying to download the address book).

Okay, were getting somewhere...I was able to create a new OAB and make it the default and the ExchangeOAB folder IS being populated. The issue I'm now having is that Outlook's are still pointing to the old GUID (see pic). How do I point it to the new one? Thanks for your help thus far...I think were close to solved.

• Edited by Alceryes Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:23 PM add info
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:17 PM
  • Change the default OAB on each mailbox database to the one you just created.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:08 PM
  • That did it, thx!

Now I need to go through and clean out all the remnants of the old Exchange but that an entirely different issue. Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:54 PM