none
Two Hyper-V Host connect VM's on internal network?

Question

• Working on limited budget and need to expand my lab. So thinking to add another Hyper-V host.

But i dont want the VM's on the private network. How do i link the to Hyper-V Host so the VM's under them can see each other?

#LnQ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by LongQuo Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:20 PM

Answers

•  or do i need a extra NIC on each hyper-v host and connect them with a cross over cabel?

Yes, the crossover could work or just use another physical switch.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by LongQuo Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:09 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:36 PM

All replies

• Assuming each host has an unused physical NIC adapter you can configure another external vSwitch associated with this adapter (uncheck allow management operating system to share ….) on each host, then do two things;

• plug these adapters into a common physical switch
    • configure the VM guests to use the new vSwitch

If you only have the single physical NIC in each host then I'd move the VM guests to an external vSwitch and configure them on 192.168.1.xxx network.

((please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:53 PM
  • But i dont want the vm's on my private network. I want to isolate them?

Was thinking doing this

LAB01 connected to private Network - add a second usb nic to connect to LAB02 with static ip.

Create a external network binded to the usb nic - do the same on LAB02 onboard nic.

Can above solution work or do i need a extra NIC on each hyper-v host and connect them with a cross over cabel?

#LnQ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:54 AM
  •  or do i need a extra NIC on each hyper-v host and connect them with a cross over cabel?

Yes, the crossover could work or just use another physical switch.

• Marked as answer by LongQuo Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:09 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

If this, based on my experience, you could simply deploy RAS feature (Routing and Remote Access) on the two hosts. Then both configure LAN Routing on them.  

https://protechgurus.com/configure-lan-routing-windows-server-2016/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Then we can interconnect the two subnets with VMs across the physical network, but isolates with it. Although, the VMs within the different hosts can communicate and have the same mask, they actually reside in the different subnets.  

If you have enough NICs on each host, we can implement you want as Dave said.  

Thanks for your sharing and support. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, February 9, 2019 4:04 AM
  • Above solutions will only work with server os right? The first hv host is running w10 the other a hyperv server 2016 in my lab

#LnQ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by LongQuo Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:58 AM
    Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:57 AM
  • No, a cross-over cable will work between any two physical hosts.  The VMs do not even have to be running under the same hypervisor.  Once you have established external communication for the VMs, using whatever capabilities exist in the host hypervisor, virtual networking is the same as physical networking.

tim

Saturday, February 9, 2019 1:31 PM
  • Agree with Tim, the network is independent of the operating systems used. It would still work.

Saturday, February 9, 2019 2:54 PM