Windows Mobile Device Center & Win 10 can't paste .lnk file RRS feed

• Question

• I use WMDC all the time. About 15 years working with these things. WMDC running on Win 10 can't paste .lnk files. if I go to any Win 10 machine that we have here, they all can't paste .lnk files. Win 7, works perfectly.

We stage bar code scanners here. Often we have a back up of all the files a customer needs. If we copy all those files, everything shows up on the scanner except for the shortcuts (.lnk)

Please help! But I think this is a bug on Win 10

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I found a similar thread may relate to your problem, please refer to the link:

Windows 10 WMDC .lnk files

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/windows-10-wmdc-lnk-files/4f316864-2663-43e2-a055-309364afba6a

In addition, considering the Update is released recently, if the issue still persists, you could try the built-in "Feedback" tool to submit the issue on your side.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:42 AM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:42 AM
  • I was experiencing the same problem as you and tried this method and it worked. I hope this works for you.

Copy the link file to the C:\ directory.

Run cmd as administrator

execute the command "rename xxxxxx.lnk xxxxxx.txt"

copy and paste the file to your desired destination

Once the file is in your desired destination, right click the file and change the file extension to .lnk. Refresh the page and you should be good.

I was experiencing the same problem as you and tried this method and it worked.

Friday, February 8, 2019 9:38 PM
  • Same problem
    Friday, August 23, 2019 8:42 AM