Mailmerge from Word to Outlook - emails stuck in Outbox and won't send RRS feed

• Question

• I have Office 365 (Word, Excel and Outlook). I have data in an Excel spreadsheet which I merge in a Word document and send results of mailmerge to email addresses using Plain text.When I perform the mailmerge and send to email, the emails appear in the Outbox but don't send. The strange thing is that the "Sent" column has "None" in it rather than a date/time as normal.

NB. Outlook is open at the time of doing the mailmerge.

• Edited by IanB58 Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:42 AM
    Saturday, April 16, 2016 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In Word, please check the Match field and make sure the E-mail Address is matched properly in Mail Merge:

In Outlook, click File > Options > Advanced. Make sure the "Send immediately when connected" option is checked under Send and receive. Additionally, please double-click the messages which are stuck in Outbox, click Send to send them again.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 18, 2016 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In Word, please check the Match field and make sure the E-mail Address is matched properly in Mail Merge:

In Outlook, click File > Options > Advanced. Make sure the "Send immediately when connected" option is checked under Send and receive. Additionally, please double-click the messages which are stuck in Outbox, click Send to send them again.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 18, 2016 10:14 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it does not work. The only way of getting the stuck emails to send is to drag them to the drafts folder and then open them one at a time from drafts and click send. Clicking send from the Outbox does not send them.

• Edited by IanB58 Tuesday, May 10, 2016 4:06 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Your posts don't indicate which version of Office 365 or platform you're using, which may be relevant.

On Macs, at least, mailmerge emails will go to your Outlook drafts folder if you have your mail preferences set to automatically BCC or CC yourself.

Do the emails send properly if you use the HTML format? If the mailmerge is being driven by a macro or third-party app, you need to use the HTML format; otherwise you'll need to 'approve' each email.

Assuming you're using a PC, have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

See also: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2663435, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/182572

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:40 AM
  • Hi, 

i also got the same problem with my outlook, i am using MacBook air, version of word and outlook are 2016 16.11(180311),

no 3rd party app, no cc or bcc to myself, all things were simple as default, 

i had tried both text and HTML but unfortunately both were not working, emails stuck in outbox, not in draft folder but however, i had moving them into my draft folder but not sending, stuck there even though i clicked send/receive, 

i did make trial on word and merge to email, no attachment, no picture, just insert the name of addressee into the word, wrote hello, testing something like that, previewed and merge to email, problems the same there, 

please try to figure it out for my outlook that making me quite troublesome because i do using it for sending notice to group of addressees,

all these solutions above of this subject i had tried, email address in field of word, excel were correctly, 

can do was clicking send one by one but if i have group emails to be sent, this useful function will be not helpful, 

by the way, if many emails to be sent, i will set the merge range of 1-30 by once, tried on mac but no matter 1-30 or even just 1 were failed, 

i did on window with no any problem but never succeeded with outlook on mac, 

thank you,

Saturday, March 17, 2018 5:30 PM
  • Exactly the same for me!

MacBook Air Version10.11.16

MS Outlook for Mac 16.13

So I had to send mail merged message from my outbox manually.  

I did manage to send directly some months ago so I assume an update as created this bug?

Monday, May 21, 2018 10:37 PM