Cannot manage Distribution group membership when two exchange accounts are configured in outlook. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using outlook 2013 and my exchange server is 2013 too.

I have a distribution group named "alias@mydomain.com" and my user "rishi.pandit@mydomain.com" is moderator of this DL and i was able to add/remove members from this.

Now, I own one more exchange account as "team@mydomain.com" and i configured the same in outlook 2013 as an exchange account and what i see is i am unable to edit the DL  "alias@mydomain.com"

My default account in outlook is "rishi.pandit@mydomain.com" still i cant edit the DL. As i delete the account "team@mydomain.com" from outlook or configures it (team@mydomain.com) as an IMAP i am able to moderate "alias@mydomain.com". Any Clue ??? 

Error message :- "Changes to the distribution list membership cannot be saved. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object."

My Exchange server 2013 and outlook both are having latest updates installed. Thanks.

Friday, March 28, 2014 11:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• How did you configure this second account?  If it is on the initial Account Settings page, remove it.  If you wish to add Exchange accounts in Outlook, you add them under the profiles Advanced tab (click your mailbox in the Account Settings page and click Change, then click More Settings on the Change Account page; click the Advanced tab, then the Add button).  And if you have full control of this mailbox and are using Outlook 2013, that additional mailbox will be mounted automatically, so you shouldn't need to add the mailbox anywhere in Outlook.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 12:32 PM
  • I have configured second account as Exchange only in the same Outlook profile. I don't want to switch my profiles to operate the either the accounts.

Both the accounts are different and don't have any relevancy to each other. "rishi.pandit@mydomain.com" and "team@mydomain.com"

What i suppose is, "rishi.pandit@mydomain.com" is having permissions on the DL  "alias@mydomain.com" but "team@mydomain.com" dosent have it. So when i edit "alias@mydomain.com" outlook is using "team@mydomain.com" to edit it and not "rishi.pandit@mydomain.com"

Friday, March 28, 2014 12:40 PM
  • As I said above, you can't add two Exchange mailboxes to the same profile.  As long as you have both configured, you are going to have this problem.  If you need to access both mailboxes in the same profile, give your mailbox Full Access permission on the Team mailbox.  (You will probably need to include Send As permissions, as well, if you are going to want to send from the Team mailbox.)
    Friday, March 28, 2014 12:44 PM
  • I'll add that if you are not an Exchange administrator, you will need to have them do this for you.  A standard users can't grant another mailbox Send As rights to theirs.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 1:01 PM
  • For some security reasons we cannot give send as / full permissions to "rishi.pandit@mydomain.com" for "team@mydomain.com" because we have so many aliases to which we have "Mail Delivery Restrictions" and only "team@mydomain.com" has permissions to send emails on those. If i give send as permissions to "rishi.pandit" then i 'll have to allow "rishi.pandit" to those restricted aliases too and I don't want to do that.

Multiple exchange accounts are supported in outlook because i am able to configure those. I searched for the articles on internet to say "Its not supported" but didnt got them. I think there might be a way.

Friday, March 28, 2014 1:10 PM
  • As I said, they are supported, just not on the Account Settings page.  Here are the Microsoft articles that show how to add mailboxes to an existing profile. 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/open-additional-exchange-mailboxes-HP001003056.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291626

If you do it any other way, it is not supported.

Friday, March 28, 2014 1:32 PM
  • Article given applies to Outlook 2003 and i am facing this issue in Outlook 2010 and 2013. Did i asked the question in wrong forum ? If so, sorry for that. I will ask this into Office 2013 forum.

Thanks, Rishi Pandit.

Friday, March 28, 2014 1:37 PM
  • The second article was for all currently supported versions of Outlook.  The first showed how to do it.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 3:41 PM