WSUS Synchronisation appearing to fail but WSUS is working RRS feed

• Question

• I have an interesting issue with WSUS running on a physical server 2008 R2 box.

The synchronisations are reporting as failures and have been for a few months now. The application event log is reporting event ID 824 every few seconds. The source is MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE. The event is seen below -

The description for Event ID 824 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

incorrect checksum (expected: 0xb0db330d; actual: 0x14eb374c)
    read
    (1:257629)
    0x0000007dcba000
    E:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB.mdf

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Investigation seems to show that the database is corrupted and not repairable but the system is working as it should. I do not want to rebuild WSUS completely as it is working and the server will be replaced within 18 months but I would like to get rid of the error messages if possible.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Adrian

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Event ID 824 means "SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error".

It doesn't seem that there is an easy way to fix it, however, refer to following article and check if it could help you.

How to troubleshoot Msg 824 in SQL Server
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2015756/how-to-troubleshoot-msg-824-in-sql-server

You may need SSMS (or express) to contact the WID. 

Note that operating the database directly is risky, ignoring it or an re-installation may be a better choice.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AdrianW1 Thursday, November 1, 2018 1:20 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Event ID 824 means "SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error".

It doesn't seem that there is an easy way to fix it, however, refer to following article and check if it could help you.

How to troubleshoot Msg 824 in SQL Server
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2015756/how-to-troubleshoot-msg-824-in-sql-server

You may need SSMS (or express) to contact the WID. 

Note that operating the database directly is risky, ignoring it or an re-installation may be a better choice.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AdrianW1 Thursday, November 1, 2018 1:20 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:48 AM
  • Thanks Ray

As the system is working I am thinking ignoring it for now maybe the best solution. As soon as a new host server goes in I will move the role to a new VM

Adrian

Thursday, November 1, 2018 1:23 PM
  • Are you performing the proper WSUS maintenance including but not limited to running the Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), declining superseded updates, running the SQL Indexing script, etc.?

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

Doing the proper maintenance on WSUS may completely fix your issue.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Friday, November 2, 2018 3:30 AM
  • Thanks Adam

It is not a server I support on a regular basis, it has been escalated to me, so I cannot say if this work is carried out routinely.

I will certainly check your suggestions and report back

Thanks Adrian

Monday, November 5, 2018 8:57 AM