How to Enable multi users to work on the same file at the same time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My problem is that I have a word 2003 file where multiusers have access on it. this file is shared on a network drive but the problem is that the users want to be able to work on the file at the same time to avoid delays so I want to know is there an option to allow mutiple users to edit the same file at the same time? We have SharePoint 2007 and I tried to find a solution on it. I used the document libraries but the checkout property allows only one user to work on the file at a time. I thought also that I can use custom list but the word file contains text, tables, charts as image files. So I want to know if there is a way that we can use to solve this problem?

And if the file is an excel file, is there a  way to allow multiple users to work on it at the same time too?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:34 PM No need to say the same thing twice in a Title. Cut down to once and made into a question
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, you can create a shared network directory and set permissions on the directory so that the desired users can both read and write.

Put the Excel workbook into the directory. Use Tools -> Share Workbook (Except excel 2007)

Excel 2007 clicks the "office" button, click Publish, and click Create Document Workspace.

Up to 256 users can share the same workbook at one time. You can adjust who "wins" when saving.

This is also possible for word file.

And for excel file, you can also try to use the custom list.

Hope this could help you!
    Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, April 1, 2011 2:00 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 8:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, you can create a shared network directory and set permissions on the directory so that the desired users can both read and write.

Put the Excel workbook into the directory. Use Tools -> Share Workbook (Except excel 2007)

Excel 2007 clicks the "office" button, click Publish, and click Create Document Workspace.

Up to 256 users can share the same workbook at one time. You can adjust who "wins" when saving.

This is also possible for word file.

And for excel file, you can also try to use the custom list.

Hope this could help you!
    Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, April 1, 2011 2:00 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 8:25 AM
  • In SharePoint 2007 ,we dont have the option.There are some third party tools please find one below

http://www.blackbladeinc.com/en-us/products/docBlock/Pages/default.aspx

Destin -MCPD: SharePoint Developer 2010, MCTS:SharePoint 2007 Application Development
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:24 PM
  • OneNote allows for multiple author access.  For anything else you're looking at 3rd party options. 

SharePoint Consultant | SharePoint MVP | My Blog | Minnesota SharePoint User Grop (MNSPUG)
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:55 AM Again do not post SP 2010 information in pre-2010 threads/forums
    Friday, April 22, 2011 10:07 PM