Send button dissapears Outlook 2010 Pro Plus RRS feed

• Question

• Numerous users throughout our company have experienced this issue.  It seemed to coincide with the meltdown and spectre patches being pushed out.

I started a thread here but was directed to these forums.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_winother-mso_2010/outlook-2010-send-button-ranomly-dissapearing/f894c44a-f901-4e24-9814-254285c4e138

Doing a repair seemed to fix it for most users but I do have confirmation that it has re-appeared on many systems that had the repair done.  

Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean this issue occurs after installing meltdown and spectre patches? Have you tried uninstall these patches to see the results?

As this issue happens to numerous users, we could try performing a clean boot which helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install the patches.

If issue persists, please try opening Outlook in safe mode on one problematic client to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Besides, according to my research, the deployment of meltdown and spectre patches may affect other products. As here we mainly focus on issue about Office desktop client, I’m not familiar with this patch. You could contact the provider to see if there are other users having same issue.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 2, 2018 7:36 AM
  • These patches were pushed out via our WSUS server so even after removal they would probably be reinstalled shortly after. The problem with this issue is that it is not consistent.  Just closing outlook and re-opening it fixes the problem so to start it in safe mode would not tell us much unless we had a system that consistently had this issue.  We do have other companies associated with us that also have this issue sporadically.

I can verify but I believe the patches were the ones pushed out by Microsoft, not another provider, as detailed here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073757/protect-your-windows-devices-against-spectre-meltdown

Due to the nature of the problem and the inconsistency I don't expect a solution, I was more hoping to see if other people have had similar issues since these patches and perhaps with enough data a fix could then be figured out.

Thank you.

Friday, March 2, 2018 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I've researched a lot and currently haven't found any official articles about this.

I've checked the link above and it talks about installing the newest Windows system updates and firmware updates from your device manufacturer could help protect Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

As you mentioned above, it is really hard to tell the root cause and effective fix based on your situation. Hope anyone else who have the similiar issue could share their situation here.

If there are anything else I can do for you about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Sunday, March 4, 2018 2:50 AM
    Sunday, March 4, 2018 2:45 AM