none
When I assign a resource to a task it automatically becomes a milestone RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project Professional 2010 linked to Project Server 2010, and am trying to assign an Enterprise resource to a task in the schedule.

I created the new task, added a duration (all good so far) and then when I added the resource to the task the duration reset to 0 days and the 'Mark as a Milestone' checkbox in the Advanced tab on the Task Information window was checked.

If I then un-check this checkbox and change the duration back to the correct duration in the Information Window and save, the duration reverts back to 0 again and the checkbox is again checked.

The task is set up by default as Fixed Units (Effort Driven).

Can anyone assist with this?

Peter

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:26 AM

Answers

• PHanney --

By chance, did you assign this resource to the task with a Units value of 0%?  If so, that would cause the exact behavior you are seeing in Microsoft Project 2010.  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by PHanney Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:53 PM

All replies

• This is really unusual, but maybe I find it unusual because it doesn't ever happen to me.

How are you assigning the resource to the task? MSP offers several different ways to assign resources?

Have you tried alternatives?

I always use resource, assign resources, because it provides more visibility and control of the assignment.
    Sometimes I copy the resource name cell and paste it into another cell.
    I never use the resources tab in task information
    I never use the drop down list in the resource name cell.
    I just don't like them.

And I never create resources on the fly by typing them into the resource name cell.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:14 AM
  • PHanney --

By chance, did you assign this resource to the task with a Units value of 0%?  If so, that would cause the exact behavior you are seeing in Microsoft Project 2010.  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by PHanney Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:53 PM
  • Hi Dale

When I open the Task Information window and navigate to the Resource tab, I just select the resource from the list of Project resources and click OK, usually this sets the units to 100% and all is good however I did note that in this case, the units were set to 0%.

Having said that, I went into the same schedule this morning and created a new task, assigned the same resource (without entering the units) and it set it to 100% this time and it didn't change the task to a Milestone.  So it behaved as I would expect it to.

No idea why it seems to be working today but will make sure in future that I set the units to 100% (or whatever is relevant) in addition to just selecting the resource.

Thanks for your suggestion - not sure why the auto default to 100% stopped working but it seems the 0% units was the issue.

Cheers

Peter

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:10 PM
  • Thanks for your comment Trevor

Please see the reply from Dale Howard and my response to him.  Seems to be sorted now.

Cheers

Peter

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:12 PM