none
Allow Resource Pool to be open to several projects at the same time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have MSP 2013, a master project, and a resource pool. The master has four subprojects and the project managers regularly update their schedules. We have a challenge in that only one subproject can have the resource pool open at a time. Is there a way of "sharing" the resource pool so that multiple PMs can use it at the same time?

Thanks - Roger

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you refering to a shared resource pool? The shared resource pool file can be opened in read-only mode while updating the assignments from the projects.

Please review this procedure and tell us if it helps:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-resources-using-a-resource-pool-3c708e6a-0173-4e27-978f-76e88e58f38b#bm3

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 12:08 PM
  • Hi, Guillaume,

Thanks for the answer. What causes this dialog box to appear?  We may not have the pool configured properly. I simply have the resources in the file. I have done nothing else to it to indicate it is being used as a resource pool and being used by multiple projects. What do I need to do, and, again, I have 2013.

Thanks - Roger

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Ok I see. You are not using a shared resource pool, but you do have all resource in one of the 4 sub-projects. Obviously, when you open the master plan in read write mode, it opens the 4 subprojects in read write mode as well. 

Instead of that, I's suggest to use a shared resource pool, as detailled in the link I shared above. The principle is to have 1 project file with no task, only resources. Then the 4 projects will use this shared resource pool. Meaning that 1 PM can work on his project using the resource pool in read only mode (as per the screenshot above) since you are not editing the resource pool but your subproject, so the other PMs can also work similarly on their own projects.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:14 PM
  • Not exactly, though I'm not sure it matters. The resource pool sits outside of the master in its own mpp with only the resources in it. If two managers try to open it at the same time, one gets locked out, but I will investigate further what you have suggested.

Thanks - Roger

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:24 PM