none
Close Tasks to Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My Timesheet is cluttered with old tasks of a project which has been abandonned some months ago.

So I went to Close tasks to update, I selected the project, I clicked Selected All and then I clicked Publish.

But in my timesheet, the tasks are still there!

What did I missed?

Thanks

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can also try by editing the project scheule in MS project and insert a new column Publish and select no for all the task and save and publish the project. The task will disappera.

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:45 PM
  • WLID1966 --

In Project Server 2007, you use this feature to �??lock�?� tasks to prevent users from adding more time again them.  It does not hide the closed tasks, however.  In Project Server 2010, this feature moves the closed task from the Tasks page and prevents the system from displaying the closed task in future Timesheet periods.  So, there is definitely a difference in behavior between the two versions of Project Server.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:59 PM

All replies

• Tasks that are no longer working on or completed, should have the remaining work set to 0.  The project then needs to be saved and published.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Thanks Michael,

But I need to keep the history of what have be done, and what was expected to be done, on this abandoned project. So I can't set the Remaining Work to zero.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

adding my 2 cents to Michael's spot on response: feature close task to update enables administrators to close out tasks to future updates. In scenarios where users must see and report on projects and their task details, users might also want to ensure that no future modifications are made to that plan. The Close Tasks to Update feature enables an administrator to select one or all tasks for closure.

and in-order to remove the tasks from your your timesheet, you need to update the project plan as Michael's advise and publish.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

You can also try by editing the project scheule in MS project and insert a new column Publish and select no for all the task and save and publish the project. The task will disappera.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:45 PM
  • WLID1966 --

In Project Server 2007, you use this feature to �??lock�?� tasks to prevent users from adding more time again them.  It does not hide the closed tasks, however.  In Project Server 2010, this feature moves the closed task from the Tasks page and prevents the system from displaying the closed task in future Timesheet periods.  So, there is definitely a difference in behavior between the two versions of Project Server.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Raju1100,

Good idea, that's what I need. I'm using 2010 version

Thanks

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Thanks a lot Dale,

I'm using 2010, so this feature will solve my issue!

Best regards

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:07 PM