Shortcut to launch a locally installed application RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to create a shortcut in the AppV package which will launch a locally installed application within the VE bubble?  I have done some research online and found the /appvve method.  This may sound stupid on my part, but something just doesn't make sense - sounds like a Catch-22.  If it's a matter of this syntax "app_name.exe /appvve:<PackageGUID_VersionGUID>", then how can you get the GUIDs since they are created after the package is saved?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-desktop-optimization-pack/appv-v5/running-a-locally-installed-application-inside-a-virtual-environment-with-virtualized-applications#bkmk-cl-hook-switch-appvve

Monday, October 23, 2017 11:49 PM

All replies

• Since you are going to call locally installed app, try using script to place shortcut with /appvve or runvirtual in the dynamic config file. Or you can edit the shortcut field in the deployment file and add /appvve:

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Since you are going to call locally installed app, try using script to place shortcut with /appvve or runvirtual in the dynamic config file. Or you can edit the shortcut field in the deployment file and add /appvve:

If I were to create a bat file which launches the app, how would I know ahead of time what the version GUID will be since it's created when the package is saved; if I modify the bat file after the save, a new version GUID is created.

I will try your 2nd suggestion of modifying the DeploymentConfig xml file to look something like this:

• Edited by cpl_eyeball Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:17 PM Trying to modify the image
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Another way (though it's been a long time I worked on this)

During sequencing, in the configure phase create a shortcut and in the target filed set as

cmd.exe /c START "" "path to local .exe" and finish sequencing. When publishing it will automatically take /appvve parameter in the published shortcut.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:18 PM
  • Just create a bat file with the actual local exe path and point the shortcut to the bat file created when sequencing. After publishing it should work inside virtual environment.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:22 PM
  • Just create a bat file with the actual local exe path and point the shortcut to the bat file created when sequencing. After publishing it should work inside virtual environment.

Tried that already and it didn't work - also modified the DeploymentConfig.xml file and added /appvve to the shortcut and that didn't work.
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Got it working by changing the tokenized [{ProgramFilesX86}] variable in the xml file to "C:\Program Files (x86)".

So now I am able to launch a locally installed application with a virtualized shortcut, but am still faced with a problem as follows: a user should be able to drag a file, from a local drive into the application, but cannot. If I open Windows Explorer in the VE bubble, the drag feature works.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:52 PM
  • Add cmd.exe /c START "" before to the tokenized variable and check. By doing so CMD will act as a middle man running in virtual environment.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:21 PM
  • We have decided to go with a shortcut created in the user's profile Start Menu, but I will also try your suggestion using cmd.exe START "" method.  Thanks all the help.
    Friday, October 27, 2017 8:32 PM
  • Monday, October 30, 2017 3:54 PM
  • The Appvve switch allows an external program to be launched inside a package bubble.  When shortcuts are created in an App-V package this switch is automatically added to the shortcut.  For example, if in monitoring mode I create a shortcut to iexplore.exe with a URL command line argument, the shortcut generated by App-V will have this switch added.  So just putting the shortcut to the external program inside the package is one option.

Another option is to use the RunVirtual feature.  RunVirtual is a registry setting that names executables and provides the package GUIDs so that App-V will allways launch that program in the bubble.  This is most useful for things like iexplore or word.exe where user's might have their own shortcuts and you want to ensure it always runs in that package bubble.  The downside of this technique, of course, is that it always starts in that bubble, which might not be what you want.

And yes, you can create your own shortcuts externally with the appvve switch if that is what you need..

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "PowerShell with App-V 5 (5.1 Edition)", "The Client Book (4.x)" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Saturday, November 4, 2017 1:01 AM
  • This might help with Drag and Drop , We had an issue when application was published to the user this was fixed by publishing globally (Drag and Drop now works fine) more details on this KB.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-desktop-optimization-pack/appv-v5/creating-and-managing-app-v-51-virtualized-applications

Requirements for using shell extensions:+

• Packages that contain embedded shell extensions must be published globally. The application requires no additional setup or configuration on the client to enable the shell extension functionality.

• The “bitness” of the application, Sequencer, and App-V client must match, or the shell extensions won’t work. For example:

• The version of the application is 64-bit.

• The Sequencer is running on a 64-bit computer.

• The package is being delivered to a 64-bit App-V client computer.

+

The following table lists the supported shell extensions:+

Handler Description

Context menu handler+

Adds menu items to the context menu. It is called before the context menu is displayed.+

Drag-and-drop handler+

Controls the action where right-click, drag and drop and modifies the context menu that appears.+

Drop target handler+

Controls the action after a data object is dragged and dropped over a drop target such as a file.

Monday, November 6, 2017 9:42 AM