Windows 7 Antivirus issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi !
    Ran into a weird and complicated Antivirus installation problem.
    If you try to install Bullguard antivirus , the windows 7 will show a quick blue screen ( goes so fast so can´t read error message ) , then restart pc and after this it tells that windows 7 most be repaired not even fail safe start up is possible this happen in both 32 and 64 bit version , but repair facility function perfect except.... that the installation of the antivirus program is gone , which is normal cause the repair facility is set pc back to old restore point.
    What ever i do try or figure out for a solution setttings etc. it will not run and this alone is enough , cause i will never run a pc without Bullguard not even the 64 bit version.
    Beside this i can say that 64 bit version which i would prefer to use on my pc , will almost not run anything i tryed that be games programs etc. i do not say there aint programs that can´t run on it , but find it annoying i can´t select and choose my self what i want to run and it is the windows 7 that decides for me.
    Also the windows 7 rc version i got is ultimate , and it runs slow on my pc , so wonder how big a pc most be before it can run it smootly.
    My system is :
    Amd Phenom 8450 triple core 2.10 mhz
    Either 2 x 2 GB ram modules running dual ganged mode 800 mhz cl 6 ( 4 GB in total )
    or 3 x 2 GB + 1 x 1GB ram modules running dual unganged 800 mhz cl6 ( 7 GB in total " windows 7 rc actuly runs slower with this setting ! " )
    Older Ati 3650 512 MB ( Dedicated ) graphiccard running crossfire with onboard Ati 3200 Shared total memory is about 2 GB
    Sata 2 Harddrive
    All is running on a Acer aspire m5200 model

Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:18 PM

All replies

• Are you installing version 8.7 of BullGuard?  It should be fully compatible with Windows 7.  I've installed BullGuard Internet Security 8.7 and BullGuard Backup 8.7 successfully on 32-bit Windows 7.

Have you used BullGuard's excellent support  system to chat or send E-mail to them about this?
    Steve Winograd, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 8:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Are you installing version 8.7 of BullGuard?  It should be fully compatible with Windows 7.  I've installed BullGuard Internet Security 8.7 and BullGuard Backup 8.7 successfully on 32-bit Windows 7.

Have you used BullGuard's excellent support  system to chat or send E-mail to them about this?

I have tryed everything trusth me , both version from www.bullguard.dk and www.bullguard.com , also another version which only my internet provider customers have acces to it did not work either.
    You write windows 7 is a rc version or another beta version ?
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:32 PM
  • I didn't try BullGuard on Windows 7 beta or RC, and I don't know if it works with them.  I've installed it on 32-bit Windows 7 RTM.

Are you installing version 8.7?  I don't think that previous versions are compatible with Windows 7.

Since you've tried everything, my only suggestion is to contact BullGuard for support.  I've found their support to be good and prompt.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 2:04 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm running Micro Trends Internet Security Pro for Windows 7 (RTM on a 64-bit system) with no problems.  Installed fine, runs fine, not a bad solution to use until Microsoft releases their Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus program.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

Interested to hear about the blue screen and Bullguard.

I have purchased a new medion pc only last week and it was brand new out the box and was working fine till I tried to download aol software. (Tried all the versions but when nearly through install and it tries to find the best way of connecting it will crash the computer and blue screen erroe IRQL NOT LESS OR EWUAL windows then shuts down(will connect through explorer ok.

Anyway to cut a long story short after getting the run around from Medion support and hanging on to Aol support with no answer for 30 mins I googled the problem Blue Screen and purely by chance saw the Bullguard problem.

I would never have considered this as it is pre installed on the system in a trial version so even after doing 2 factory resets I obviously still had the problem.

Uninstalled Bullguard and Hey Presto fault cured.

Hope this is of assistanve and saves someone all the hassles I went through.

Shawburn
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:08 PM
  • On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 11:06:00 +0000, pctech33 wrote:

The best way to protect Windows 7 computers from malware is installing antivirus  programs. Antivirus programs contain database of definitions of malware and these definitions are used to compare the behavior of malware and to prevent them from getting installed on the system.

A virus is only one kind of malware, and an anti-virus program does
    either little or nothing to protect you against many other kinds:
    spyware, adware, etc.

Yes, you should install a good anti-virus program, but you should also
    install a good anti-spyware program. I strongly recommend the free
    MalwareBytes AntiMalware, the best of the programs in that category.

Also, you say "The best way to protect Windows 7 computers from
    malware is installing antivirus programs." I strongly disagree with
    that final "s" on the last word--"programs." You should never run more
    than one anti-virus program. More than one will adversely impact your
    performance and create the risk of problems as they conflict with each
    other.

Windows 7 users can either use the default Windows Defender antivirus program

No, Windows Defender is not an anti-virus program. It's an
    anti-spyware program, and does nothing to protect you against viruses.

Microsoft's anti-virus program is called Microsoft Security
    Essentials. Although it's free, it's not at all a default, and if you
    want it, it needs to be downloaded and installed.

or install any other compatible antivirus program such as Norton AntiVirus to enhance the protection of the system.

In my view (and that of lots of others of us here), Norton Anti Virus
    is among the worst possible choices of an anti-virus program. For an
    anti-virus program, I recommend eSet NOD32, if you are willing
    to pay for it. If you want a free anti-virus, I recommend one (do not
    run more than one) of the following three:

Avira AntiVir
    Avast
    Microsoft Security Essentials

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:46 PM