WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX hangs system immediately Win7 Ultimate. x64 RRS feed

• Question

• scf /scannow did not fix. Bios latest did not fix. NOTE: Found a Winsat FOLDER for Winsat on Ultimate but not one

found for Win 7 Pro.  All I see is the message that it is loading DIRECTX 3D and then screen

goes black.  Repaired, reinstalled,and upgraded with same results. All drivers checked out to be the latest.

Any clues why ULTIMATE UPGRADE does have  a WINSAT folder and Win 7 pro only has an winsat.exe and no folder named WINSAT?

No hangs in Win 7 Pro x64 but does hang in ULTIMATE X64. Pulled mobo for replacement since mem and gtx 280 works on sys with W7 PRO.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:38 PM

All replies

• The folder is located here:

C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT

Do you have this folder?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Yes, I do have on Pro.  I guess my search on PRO just showed me the WINSAT.EXE and not the folder.  I uncheck not to hide system folders and view hidden files in Pro but I guess it did not take.  Now, back to the FOLDER on Ultimate,  I did not find anything in DATASTORE folder to delete either on ULTIMATE after running.  Note this hanging system did have some BSODs after each reinstall. Just gave up on solving it and sent mobo back to manufacturer for replacement.  However, before pulling mobo and getting the system to install with all the updates without a bsod made me suspect not mobo.  Bsods only started occurring at random like opening IE or trying to run the WEI.  Weird that WEI would hang it immediately while any other executable did not.  The real pain came each time after the hang from WEI though getting the system backup.  Any clues would be helful before I try again with a new mobo?  Hopefully, that is my problem.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Now, back to the FOLDER on Ultimate,  I did not find anything in DATASTORE folder to delete either on ULTIMATE after running.

Why are you trying to delete something? What#s your issue?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:37 PM
  • I found in an earlier forum where one of your experts said to delete any of files in the DATASTORE folder.  I did not find

any to delete there.   As they sugested after deleting, one should try running WEI again.  I never found any. I hope that part clears

up your question.  Any clues why WEI HANGS since I have exhausted all I found earlier?  REINSTALLING WINDOWS YIELDED

SAME RESULTS. SFC /SCANNOW AND DRIVERS UPDATED ALL CHECKED OUT.  Thanks in advance for any clues to help.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:48 PM
  • What happens if you run WinSAT.exe now?

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:20 PM
  • Each time I ran it all I could see is the message that DIRECTX 3D and then blank screen similiar to BSOD. All

I could do was hit power down or reset to get back into Windows.  Sometimes I had to first go into SAFE MODE

and run SCF /SCANNOW  and if I could reboot into Windows, I would do a repair.  Sometimes, using F8 I

COULD choose use previous good boot.  If all else failed, I painfully reinstalled Windows which it would do without

a single BSOD and all the updates prior to trying WEI.  Always hung in WEI, I found numerous other poor souls with

same thing in the forums and did not  find an answer that I have already told you.  So, since MEMORY and video adapter

worked in my other system, I suspected the mobo.   BUT, I wondered why WEI did not leave me something worth while.

Any clues would be helpful when I get the new mobo if this repeats?  Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:31 PM
  • Which graphics card do you use? Is your PSU powerfull enough to provide the required energy?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Nvdia GTX 280 and THERMALTAKE 850w.  Note: this all matches my other system using

same components.  Only difference is WIN7 Pro installed and Win7 Ult. Upgrade where problems developed.

Memory is Patriot 1333 triple channel of 6gb total which it and GTX 280 worked in other system.

If hardward, only thing left is MOBO.  Strange thing is that I am able to perform CUSTOM install with a format

plus all updates prior to trying WEI.  After that, all down hill with hangs.  Only other item not tested on

another mobo is the I7 930 with factory INTEL FAN which is a bugger to get the four crummy feet to catch

each time I changed out for mobo.  (WOULD YOU BELIEVE FOUR NOT MENTION NAME BUT WITH X58 CHIPSET)

BTW, I HAD THE SAME WORKOUT WITH ORIGINAL MOBO AND IT TOOK THREE BEFORE I GOT THINGS STABIL.

Hopefully, I going for the right thing and it is not the I7-930.  ONLY USING ONE GTX 280 AND NOT TWO SO

PSU SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE OK.  Still left wondering why memory test ok and WEI stress hangs

right at the beginning.  Could Microsoft have missed something in this upgrade to their software?

That is why I pointed out the differences to you in DATASTORE folders.   One where it works has something

and other there is zilch.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:50 PM