High RAM usage in Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my RAM usage on Windows 8 64bit is higher than usual. It is at around 2.4GB with no apps running.

At startup the RAM is normally at around 1.4GB and Non paged Pool is around 150 MB. After a few minutes on idle, the Non Paged Pool goes upto 1.1GB, and then the RAM usage goes upto 2.4GB. Can someone please help?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:36 PM

Answers

• If the cause is the software  Intellimem, you should only uninstall it.

If the cause is the ExpressCache software you must ask the OEM for an update.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:45 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 5:42 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• You have to use poolmon [1], to see which tag is the cause.

Now run the findstr command to see which driver uses the tag.

André

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2012/08/30/troubleshooting-pool-leaks-part-2-poolmon.aspx

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:05 AM
    Answerer
  • I can't download it. I'm getting a message at the bottom of IE 10 saying wdksetup.exe couldn't be downloaded. I tried to run it as well as save it but it is still not downloading it.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:43 AM
  • try a different browser.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:01 PM
    Answerer
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4BCA6305B567E227!263&authkey=!ALj830OT2LiQq24
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:37 PM
  • ok, the ECMC tag is used by the software Intellimem (driver intmsd.sys) which is pre-installed on SAMSUNG devices or by ExpressCache to use a small SSD as Cache for a larger normal HDD.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:32 AM
    Answerer
  • Ok, so do I uninstall it or should I uninstall it and then reinstall it again?
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:29 PM
  • If the cause is the software  Intellimem, you should only uninstall it.

If the cause is the ExpressCache software you must ask the OEM for an update.

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:45 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 5:42 AM
    Answerer
  • I disagree. ExpressCache should simply be uninstalled. I have seen numerous bug reports around the web related to this software. It is frequently promised that this nonpaged pool leak will be fixed in the next release, and it never seems to be. Just get rid of it. Windows does a fine job of both proactive and reactive caching by itself, and there is little reason for adding yet another file cacheing mechanism to the mix. 
    Monday, October 28, 2013 8:18 PM
  • removing ExpressCache, disables the SSD caching for the HDD and slowdown the device.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:05 AM
    Answerer
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hiosd\Params\DisableDramCache set to 1

express cahce does not use non-paged pool and then use of ram

but,express cache return allcated non-paged-pool to system when free memory is low.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Any-Documentation-of-ExpressCache/td-p/1040355

*exprescache's driver is excsd.sys(please replace hiosd to excsd)

• Proposed as answer by jbh03215 Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:28 PM
    • Edited by jbh03215 Monday, September 29, 2014 6:37 PM typo
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:10 PM