Exchange or outlook rule RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have exchange 2010 and exchange client users.

Users who are members of distribution groups, want to move mails recevied for distribution groups in a separate folder.

After creating a rule about distribution group, mails explicitly received with to:dist.group@... are moved to the folder. But some mails doesnt contain something with the name of the dist. group. Wich kind of rule i am supposed to use ?

Is it possible to create a hub transport rule for mails received for the dist. group and add a sign in subject field ? After this i think its possible to create a rule in outlook.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is absolutely NO way to catch the BCC emails on outlook or with a transport rule, unless you can work out something from your end. This is just a tip but it really depends on your requirement and how important this is.

First off - to answer your question on how exchange treats email with bcc:

The *fields* shown in the UI in outlook client have nothing to do with email delivery. They are there for user convenience. When you have outlook client send a message, it compiles an aggregate list of all recipients specified in the (To, Cc, and Bcc) *fields* displayed in its UI. Using this list of recipients, outlook then issues a RCPT-TO command to the mail server for each recipient. Once that is done, outlook issues one (just one) DATA command that contains your message (headers, blank delimiter line, and body). The mail server has no clue which recipient was specified in which field and it doesn't care. It has been told who are the recipients by the list of RCPT-TO commands that it received. The recipients never get to see the original list of RCPT-TO commands that the sender issued to their sending mail server.

The headers in the message (what gets sent during the DATA command) is whatever outlook puts there. Email clients are NOT supposed to include the Bcc field in their header section in the message but some legacy clients did. Outlook should only insert To and Cc headers that match on the values specified in the To and Cc fields in UI. Since the Bcc field was never copied to a Bcc header in the message, there is nothing within the message's headers to indicate who were the Bcc'ed recipients. And since recipients never get to see the list of RCPT-TO commands issued by the sender to their mail server, there is no way for the recipient to know who got Bcc'ed.

Even for old email clients that used to include the Bcc header in the message based on the value of the Bcc field in their UI (as, say, an option to do so), many receiving mail hosts will strip out that header. It wasn't supposed to get transmitted so it gets stripped out if present. The whole point of the Bcc field is NOT to create a header with that list of recipients.

My personal suggestion:

If you have some way to classify these emails - inform your users (of this group and people who use this group the most) to make sure "No matter" what email is sent to this group in TO, CC or BCC, Subject to be appended with "xxx" or may be use a CANNED MESSAGE Template for emails to this group or a specific signature or some kind of text in the body or may be some kind of categoryization. Look at creating a blank outlook rule and check out the options available and see if you can add one of those unique settings.

if this is not possible - I am sorry.

Best!

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. Regards, Siva

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The PrependSubject parameter specifies a word or phrase to add to the beginning of the message subject. This can be the sign for the subject to be added

Regards from ExchangeOnline.in|Windows Administrator Area | Skype:manuphilip@outlook.com

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Hi

Im unable to understand when you say "But some mails doesnt contain something with the name of the dist. group"? Pls explain as to what you would like to achieve and what is the problem with achieving (with an example if possible)

Remember, each and every transport rule that you create, will take a toll on your Hub Transport server (ofcourse not too much of processing) but you dont really want your HT server to check for ALL emails processed for a simple rule like that. I personally think, HT Rule should be created only when you want to scope the rule for the entire organization and not for a group of users or a distribution group (this is my personal opinion).

Again, if there is no way to manage this from Outlook client, you dont have a choice either!

All the best!

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. Regards, Siva

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Hey ManU, I wanted to look into your site but there is a problem with your site. You may want to check with your site administrator. Just thought of letting you know!

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
    to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator,
    webmaster@exchangeonline.windowsadmin.in and inform them of the time the error
    occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error
    log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying
    to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

another way, when we receive e-mails with hidden receipents (bcc), none of the rules (outlook, hub transport rules) can define the receipient of the e-mail.

For example, in outlook 2010, i define an exchange account person@company.com, this person is member of dist.group@company.com, and i want that when he/she receives e-mails for the distribution group, they are automaticaly moved to the related folder. But when there is a e-mail with dist.group@company.com address in bcc field, none of the rules can determine that this e-mail is received for the dist. group and the e-mail is placed in the incoming e-mails folder. At exchange server same thing,  for that reason i am unable the prepend a text into subject field, because its impossible to determine (or i don't know how to determine) for wich receipient the e-mail is for.

Thanks  

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Thanks for noticing the error. I have fixed that with the help of my provider. Happy to invite you to browse through my blogs

Regards from ExchangeOnline.in|Windows Administrator Area | Skype:manuphilip@outlook.com

• Edited by ManU PhiliP Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

In Exchange server, there is no transport rule that can meet your requirement. Maybe we can try to create a Outlook rule just like:

Apply this rule after the message arrives

Sent to Group1

Move it to the DistributionGroup1 folder

And stop processing more rules

Based on my test, this rule will work for all arrived messages which Group1 is in the To or CC box. It cannot affect e-mails with this Goup1 in Bcc field. If the rule cannot meet your requirement, I suggest we can post your requirement on Microsoft Outlook forums to get more professional solutions:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlook

Thanks,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:23 AM
  • Hi Winni Liang,

Like you say, this rule work fine for group1 in the to or cc box, because its explictly written in those fields. But when group1 is in bcc box and nothing like "undisclosed receipients" is written, its impossible to redirect e-mails in the distributionGroup1 folder.

I think this problem must be solved in exchange server layer because, when the e-mail is delivered to Ms outlook, the content of the bcc field is hidden.(must be hidden) 

what i wondered is that, when this kind of e-mails reach the exchange server, smtp can determine the group1 in bcc and accept the e-mail. Why something like hub transport rule cannot modify this kind of e-mails (e-mails for distribution groups only) ?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

There is absolutely NO way to catch the BCC emails on outlook or with a transport rule, unless you can work out something from your end. This is just a tip but it really depends on your requirement and how important this is.

First off - to answer your question on how exchange treats email with bcc:

The *fields* shown in the UI in outlook client have nothing to do with email delivery. They are there for user convenience. When you have outlook client send a message, it compiles an aggregate list of all recipients specified in the (To, Cc, and Bcc) *fields* displayed in its UI. Using this list of recipients, outlook then issues a RCPT-TO command to the mail server for each recipient. Once that is done, outlook issues one (just one) DATA command that contains your message (headers, blank delimiter line, and body). The mail server has no clue which recipient was specified in which field and it doesn't care. It has been told who are the recipients by the list of RCPT-TO commands that it received. The recipients never get to see the original list of RCPT-TO commands that the sender issued to their sending mail server.

The headers in the message (what gets sent during the DATA command) is whatever outlook puts there. Email clients are NOT supposed to include the Bcc field in their header section in the message but some legacy clients did. Outlook should only insert To and Cc headers that match on the values specified in the To and Cc fields in UI. Since the Bcc field was never copied to a Bcc header in the message, there is nothing within the message's headers to indicate who were the Bcc'ed recipients. And since recipients never get to see the list of RCPT-TO commands issued by the sender to their mail server, there is no way for the recipient to know who got Bcc'ed.

Even for old email clients that used to include the Bcc header in the message based on the value of the Bcc field in their UI (as, say, an option to do so), many receiving mail hosts will strip out that header. It wasn't supposed to get transmitted so it gets stripped out if present. The whole point of the Bcc field is NOT to create a header with that list of recipients.

My personal suggestion:

If you have some way to classify these emails - inform your users (of this group and people who use this group the most) to make sure "No matter" what email is sent to this group in TO, CC or BCC, Subject to be appended with "xxx" or may be use a CANNED MESSAGE Template for emails to this group or a specific signature or some kind of text in the body or may be some kind of categoryization. Look at creating a blank outlook rule and check out the options available and see if you can add one of those unique settings.

if this is not possible - I am sorry.

Best!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:45 PM