Load of packages slow on a 100mbit network RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 100Mbit network connection to the client systems. De App-V version is 4.6 an the OS is Windows XP.

When we load a application, about 700MB, it takes about 5 minutes to load the complete package. When we put a system to a 1Gbit network direct on the backbone the time to (re)load the complete package takes less than a minute.

Is there a (hidden) setting to tune the maximum use of the available bandwidth?

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There is probably no app-v specific setting that would increase this - I would probably explore your general network setup and check exactly where in the network the current bottleneck is.

/Znack

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:34 PM
  • It's a bottleneck within the client, cause on 100Mbit is the load of a package slow and on a 1Gbit network is the load of the same package fast. It seems that the client only a few % uses of the available bandwidth.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Hello,

If you are 100% sure its only determined by the speed of the NIC I can't imagine why  simply upgrade of the hardware (whats a gigabit NIC today? Nothing right?) wouldn't be the solution to the problem?

/Znack
    Friday, May 28, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I'm 100% sure that it's related to the network speed. It's a 1Gbit NIC but there is an Avaya VOIP telephone (100 Mbits port) between the switch and the NIC. And because there are no more switch port and wall outleds available to connect the NIC direct to the switch, we can't upgrade the network speed at this moment.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Login Consultant's "ACDC" allows you to specify some of the network settings using a graphical interface, but I'm pretty sure there aren't recommendations out there.

It is sold as an advantage of App-V's RTSP implementation that it does not consume the full network bandwidth but allows other services and devices (like your VOIP phones) to transfer traffice over a slow network. Try playing around with the App-V's network settings might bring you some deeper insight into that.

On the other hand, there are other fasctors that may influence the performance (like the VOIP phone's hub/switch speed, negotiation overhead if a network card runs on 100 instead of 1000 MBit, attached to a 1000 MBit switch...

Falko
    Monday, May 31, 2010 3:13 PM