BitLocker disconnected RRS feed

• Question

• I converted my SSD Samsung 850EVO (only drive) as a bit locker protected volume. After that It refused to ask for password, so I used force dismount. Now the preboot screen shows the disk locker windows and uses the password that I set.

But on booting into windows it is shown as an unencrypted drive both in windows explorer and bde-status.

I want to be able to change the bitlocker password and I do not want to secure erase the drive x 2 as that would reduce the drive life.Is there any way to reconnect bitlocker?
    Saturday, January 21, 2017 12:27 PM

All replies

• Your setup is unclear. Simply write down steps that anyone can understand, like

1 I encrypted c: with bitlocker at the GUI using a password and software encryption

2 I rebooted and then...

I could also write down questions, but I prefer to ask you to rewrite it, this time, clearly and detailed.

About reducing the lifespan: secure erase doesn't reduce the life span. It is no simple overwriting. Even simple overwriting would not really matter, since the 850 EVO allows 250 GB: 75 TBW; 500 GB/1 TB: 150 TBW

So formatting it (really overwriting) would be less about 0,3% of life span for 250/500 GB and about 0,7% of lifespan for the 1 TB one..

Sunday, January 22, 2017 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

Please know that you have to firstly make sure to install your Windows in UEFI mode.

Please check in details in this thread and find Step by Step Guide for Encrypting Samsung SSD to help encrypt your SSD with BitLocker:

http://superuser.com/questions/700009/how-do-i-encrypt-samsung-840-ssd-with-bitlocker

Please Note:  This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

Have you taken time to check the solution in previous post?

If you have further questions on this issue, please do not hesitate to come here for discussion.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 6, 2017 9:43 AM
    1. I I converted my SSD Samsung 850EVO (only drive) as a bit locker protected volume using the command line tool & hardware encrytion.
    2. After that It refused to ask for password, so I used force dismount.
    3. Now the preboot screen shows the disk locker windows and uses the password that I set.
    4. But on booting into windows it is shown as an unencrypted drive both in windows explorer and bde-status. I also cannot change the password.

Hope this explains it better.

ajitsh

Sunday, June 18, 2017 2:03 PM
  • This explains it better. Why did it take you 5 months to write that down, if I may ask?

Please add the output of the command

manage-bde -status c:

and

manage-bde -protectors -get c:

Monday, June 19, 2017 6:09 AM
  • I had not activated the reply notification email, ;-)

ajitsh

• Edited by ajitshekher Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:57 AM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:52 AM