locked
Existing SharePoint 2010 Content Database Attach – No Site Collections RRS feed

Answers

All replies

  • Elli, what happens when you try to attach it? Are you getting a specific error?

    Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

    Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:53 AM
  • Wow, I failed at that one.  I kind of covered the issue in the Subject, but I've updated updated the question now.  It says it attaches fine - but there are zero site collections shown!
    • Edited by ElliJ Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:57 AM
    Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:54 AM
  • Can you try running the Test-SPContentDatabase command: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607941(v=office.14).aspx

    Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

    • Marked as answer by ElliJ Monday, January 6, 2014 6:35 PM
    Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Holy lots of errors, batman!!

    I think it's safe to say that the 2010 upgrade didn't hit all our sites, based on the errors and this post:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/c7b19345-3036-4dc1-a174-026796cdee7c/missing-server-side-dependencies-after-project-server-upgrade-from-2003-to-2010?forum=projserv2010setup

    There are serveral missing setup files and one missing assembly:

    Category        : MissingSetupFile
    Error           : True
    UpgradeBlocking : False
    Message         : File [1033\PWA\lists\wplib\dwp\Updates.dwp] is referenced [27
                      5] times in the database [STS_FSHAREPTP01_1], but is not inst
                      alled on the current farm. Please install any feature/solutio
                      n which contains this file.
    Remedy          : One or more setup files are referenced in the database [STS_F
                      SHAREPTP01_1], but are not installed on the current farm. Ple
                      ase install any feature or solution which contains these file
                      s.

    Category        : MissingAssembly
    Error           : True
    UpgradeBlocking : False
    Message         : Assembly [Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.PWA,Version=12.0.0.
                      0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c] is referen
                      ced in the database [STS_FSHAREPTP01_1], but is not installed
                       on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution whi
                      ch contains this assembly.
    Remedy          : One or more assemblies are referenced in the database [STS_FS
                      HAREPTP01_1], but are not installed on the current farm. Plea
                      se install any feature or solution which contains these assem
                      blies.

    I guess the question now is - how do we get it to upgrade ALL of the site collections and sites?  I'm actually pretty sure I can figure it out from here, that test was a huge help, thanks!

    Saturday, January 4, 2014 2:17 AM
  • Generally speaking, a site will still upgrade with missing dependencies, but you may see an error on the web part or page that was referencing the assembly.

    You mention that no site collections are shown, is this through Central Administration? Are you able to navigate to the URL directly? Can you try running the following PowerShell script on the SharePoint Server inside the "SharePoint Management Shell":

    Get-SPSite -WebApplication http://WebAppURL -Limit All 
    
    or...
    
    Get-SPSite -ContentDatabase "ContentDBName" | Format-Table -Property Url, Owner, SecondaryOwner


    Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

    Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:50 PM
  • The no site collections is shown in the both CA and in Powershell, even using the command you stated above.  Question though - is there a way to run the Get-SPSite command on an unattached database?  Because when I run the command on the database on our prod server, it shows the site collections, but it doesn't on the test server - even though the databases should be identical.  I'm wondering if the data would look the same if I could try to run the commend when it wasn't attached - but a quick google search did not show me any way to add the -DatabaseServer parameter to that or a similar command.

    Thanks for your help!

    Monday, January 6, 2014 4:38 PM
  • We tried copying the database from Prod to test again and this time we were able to attach it no problem.  But I did learn a lot in the process and there are definitely errors because some sites aren't fully upgraded.  We'll have to test that content database very carefully when we start testing our upgrade to 2013.

    Thanks a ton, Dimitri!

    Monday, January 6, 2014 6:37 PM
  • I'm not aware of a way to run that command on an un-attached db.

    Glad to hear that you are making process after the DB Copy, good luck!


    Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:28 AM