none
Project Server 2007 : project read-only RRS feed

• Question

• If a Project is in a "Read Only" Category, does it's workspace be read-only too?

If no, how have we to set it's workspace in read-only mode?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

All the resources defined in the Project can have the the permission to access the project. to be more precise:

1. The resources with the assignments on the project plan can have the read/write access to the project.

2. The resources who are only part of the project and not being assigned to any of the task can only have the read access to the workspace.

Now the answer in your case is that you have to customize the workspace permission of those projects to make them read-only. stop the permission inheritance from the parent and set according to your requirement.

I hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:28 PM
  • I have to correct point two:

In the past, when you had modified permissions manually, this was replaced to default settings when publishing project.

With my current patch level (SP2, CU October 2010), this doesn't happen any longer. If I change permissions for all users to be Readers on a workspace, it is not changed by publishing process. So you can follow KhurramJamshed's suggestion.

Sorry for causing confusion!
    Barbara

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

could you please explain, what you want to achieve?
    By default, members of a project team have only read access, as long as they have no assignments in this project.

Regards
    Barbara 

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

I want that some projects which are in a specific Category, and their Workspaces, are read-only for everybody except some administrators.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:13 PM
  • in others words, can a workspace "inherit" from the settings of its project which is in a specific category, so that it is read-only?
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

All the resources defined in the Project can have the the permission to access the project. to be more precise:

1. The resources with the assignments on the project plan can have the read/write access to the project.

2. The resources who are only part of the project and not being assigned to any of the task can only have the read access to the workspace.

Now the answer in your case is that you have to customize the workspace permission of those projects to make them read-only. stop the permission inheritance from the parent and set according to your requirement.

I hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Marked as answer by WLID1966 Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Hi,

no, it can't OOB. You would need some custom development for that. Do you have a developer for something like this?

Currently I am thinking, what additional manual step would need to be performed to get this result. Is it feasible to make a few modifications to these projects, or are there too many?

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:11 PM
  • OK, none of my ideas worked to modify project to respect read-only. So, there are only two ways:

1. custom development
    2. modify permission settings on workspace level (change all users to be readers). Be careful: these settings will always be changed back to default settings when project is published. You can break permission sync only for all workspaces in Server Settings - Settings for workspace creation. I am not sure if you really want this?

Sorry, perhaps someone else has better ideas?
    Barbara

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Thanks,

I don't have any developer, but I would be able to do some modifications to these projects if it could work :)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:29 PM
  • I have to correct point two:

In the past, when you had modified permissions manually, this was replaced to default settings when publishing project.

With my current patch level (SP2, CU October 2010), this doesn't happen any longer. If I change permissions for all users to be Readers on a workspace, it is not changed by publishing process. So you can follow KhurramJamshed's suggestion.

Sorry for causing confusion!
    Barbara

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Barbara,

Thanks for all your searches!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:27 PM
  • thanks barbara for supporting my opinion.

i also blogged about configuring permissions of PWA - its similar to what Stephen has wrote and based on my personel experiences.

I hope if it would be of any help to anyone of use.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:57 PM