NO BSODs ... just random freezes ..... please help me understand and fix this ..... RRS feed

• Question

• Recently (last two weeks or so) I've been getting random freezes.  Random because it'll freeze when doing different things.  Watching a movie via VLC player, just surfing the net, etc.  No BSOD at all, it’ll just freeze and then I’ll have to reboot.

Upon checking the event log I see a ton of errors. 

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xC000000D

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

Sptd

Audit events have been dropped by the transport.  0

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The previous system shutdown at 5:13:03 PM on ‎7/‎30/‎2010 was unexpected.

Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

All the above errors happened within a span of two minutes.

I also noticed “CMOS settings wrong” while booting up.  I chose run with default values.

I also noticed “CMOS checksum bad”  while booting up.  I chose run with default values.

I’m running Windows 7 Ultimate on a quad core Q6600 (not overclocked) with 8 GBs of DDR3 RAM.  Two 1 TB HDs and one 500 GB HD.  I have a HP DVD Writer 1040d.

If someone can tell me how to attach screenshots I will.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Friday, July 30, 2010 9:49 PM

Answers

• Just wanted to give an update.  So far everything seems to be working fine.  I haven't had a freeze for about two days so far.  

Steps I took to resolve the issue:

Uninstalled Avast Antivirus.

Installed MS Essentials and ran a full scan.

Disabled all non-MS services.  This is what seems to have fixed the issue.  The PC is starting up and running much faster.

I did however get one pfn_list_corrupt BSOD.  It was due to PxHlpa64.sys.  It seems to be a DVD Writer related driver.  I'm trying to find out how to update it or get rid of it.  I think this might be the cause of another issue I've been having.  Unable to burn audio discs (MP3 & WAV) via iTunes.

Thanks for the help so far.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 6, 2010 1:27 AM
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 10:10 PM

All replies

•  From your description, it almost sounds like you either have a virus or
    a failing motherboard.

Are you currently running antivirus? If not, you may want to install
    Microsoft Security Essentials and get the latest updates with Microsoft
    Update and perform a full system scan,

Is there anything else to the "CMOS settings wrong" error during
    startup? Sometimes the BIOS will pause if you hit the Pause/Break key to
    allow you to write down information and then press enter to resume
    during system startup.

What make/model is your computer (if built by a vendor) or your
    motherboard/CPU (if built by you)?

For good measure, can you verify that there are no files in
    C:\Windows\Minidump? If there are, can you upload them to skydrive with,

You also describe a condition of high CPU usage, what process(es) does
    Process Explorer report as high CPU/Memory usage,

-- Mike Burr
    Friday, July 30, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for the quick response.  I was running Avast Antivirus but just uninstalled it.  I installed MS Security essentials and am currently running a scan. According to Windows update I have 38 optional updates.  Four are:

Marvell - Network - Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Realtek - Network - Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Network - Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976422)

The rest are language packs.  After the scan I'll install the above updates.  

Here is PC info you requested.  I hope the link works.  If not, here it is:

Asus P5K3 Deluxe w/WIFI MB

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Socket 775 LGA

Radeon X1650 Series X 2 (I'm running a triple monitor setup, three 22" LCDs)

Four OCZ DDR3 2048 MBytes PC3-8500 (533MHz) 

Another thing I did was disable all non-Microsoft services (advice from another related post).  But I've received one freeze since then.

Friday, July 30, 2010 11:52 PM
  • This linking thing is not working for me. Sorry. I did upload a few screenshots of CPU-Z with pertinent info to my skydrive, but the embedding thing here is not working for me.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Just wanted to give an update.  So far everything seems to be working fine.  I haven't had a freeze for about two days so far.  

Steps I took to resolve the issue:

Uninstalled Avast Antivirus.

Installed MS Essentials and ran a full scan.

Disabled all non-MS services.  This is what seems to have fixed the issue.  The PC is starting up and running much faster.

I did however get one pfn_list_corrupt BSOD.  It was due to PxHlpa64.sys.  It seems to be a DVD Writer related driver.  I'm trying to find out how to update it or get rid of it.  I think this might be the cause of another issue I've been having.  Unable to burn audio discs (MP3 & WAV) via iTunes.

Thanks for the help so far.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 6, 2010 1:27 AM
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Glad to hear the issue does not occur after disabling the third party services.

Regarding the PxHlpa64.sys issue, you can refer to this knowledge base (KB) article to check the result: Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media

Also, you can run Troubleshooter by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Hardware and Sound -> Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, August 2, 2010 8:26 AM