none
Suspect tape (incorret bar code) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. 

I have 2 suspect tape in labrary

In table MM_Media i found 2 tapes with same MediaID and Label but different barcode - FT0001L5 and T0001L5. 

Of couse tape with barcode T0001L5 is not exist, end in table it has SlotNum = NULL.

please give some advice to resolve this problem.

DPM 2012 SP1, HP MSL 

• Edited by les86 Wednesday, November 23, 2016 1:54 PM add info
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 1:47 PM

All replies

• HI,

You can just run this SQL query to reset the suspect flag.

1) Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect the DPM instance.
    2) Click in the DPBDB name, then make a "new query"
    3) Paste the below into the query window and run it.

UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect = 0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:28 PM
  • Thanks.

But this action dont resolve conflict - 2 tapes in dpm dase with same MediaID and label but different barcode (tape with barcode T0001L5 is "fake")

Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

These are the conditions that can cause a suspect tape.

A suspect tape is a tape that has conflicting identification information. Tapes are marked as suspect in the following cases:

Two tapes have the same bar code and different on-media identifiers (OMID)
    Two tapes have the same OMID and different bar codes
    Two tapes have same OMID, and one of the tapes does not have a bar code.
    A non-cleaning tape is used for cleaning

So if you don't have duplicate barcodes, then you have tapes with duplicate On-Media ID (OMID) which can only be remedied by either removing one of the tapes from the library and perform a new detailed inventory , or erasing one of the offending tapes so it no longer has an OMID. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 28, 2016 11:18 PM
  • I have only one TRUE tape with barcode "FT0001L5" in my library. It is marked like suspect. Thats all. In SQL i found another tape with barcode "T0001L5" that has same MediaID with "FT0001L5", In fact, this tape does not exist in nature.

I Cant remove "T0001L5" and i cant erase "FT0001L5" bacause it marked like suspect . Is i real to resolve this conflict?

• Edited by les86 Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

This fixed it for me when my HP tape library was set to only report the first 8 digits of the tape barcode to the operating system/DPM.

I had two tapes which had the same first 8 digits but different last two. I changed the library to report 10 digits, ran the SQL command you specified and DPM then reported the tape as 'Imported'. I simply ran a catalog and all was resolved. Thank you.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:34 AM