Error 500121 when re-attempting login to 2FA-secured account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I work for a company and was given the credentials to an Azure account. I signed in and it asked for a 2FA code. I did not have access to the phone number it texted, so I backed out and decided to try another time. When that time came, I signed in again, and was met with the error "Sorry, we're having trouble verifying your account. Please try again." Underneath was a button to text the phone number, but it did not work. This happens every time now. Clicking to reveal more information on the most recent attempt gives this to copy and send to "your administrator":

Error Code: 500121
    Request Id: d625059d-a9cb-4aac-aff5-07b9f2fb4800
    Correlation Id: 4c9d33a3-2ade-4a56-b926-bb74625a17c9
    Timestamp: 2020-05-29T18:40:27Z

As far as I understand, this account is the admin account, or at least stands on its own. It appears only the Azure Management Portal appears to be the part that is requiring two-factor-authentication. The account itself is signed-in. What can be done in this situation? As expressed, to my knowledge, there is no admin account above this.

Friday, May 29, 2020 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I think I have discovered the problem - it looks as though there is a problem with the login mechanism if you're account is backed by github. I was able to rectify by signing out, forgetting this login, and choosing to login again using authenticator and not my password, see steps below.

When you get to the sign in page (where none of the links to approve, text, etc are working), choose cancel.

Then, at the 'pick an account page' click on the elipsis and choose 'sign out and forget' (notice the github symbol on the account profile icon).

Then, back at the sign in page, enter your email as you usually would, and click 'next'. Please note that, when I tried this, microsoft initially tells me that my account doesn't exist. If you get this, then try refreshing the page couple of times and try again.

You'll then be prompted to sign in using github or enter your password, do not click 'next' and do not enter your password, instead click on 'Other ways to sign in'.

You should then get the 'choose a way to sign in' dialog, where you can choose to enter your password or use authenticator. I chose the authenticator option and was able to get in. I tried using my password, but this brought me back to the same "we're having trouble verifying your account" issue reported above. Then, when attempting to sign out and back in again, I would notice the same github icon on my profile picture. For now, it would appear I can't use my password at all, otherwise it won't let me in.

For those who don't have authenticator, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get through if it sends a code to your mobile or if it sends a code to your email as your 2FA mechanism. Perhaps someone can feed back?

Apologies all - tried to include images to help, but account not yet verified so couldn't post them.

• Marked as answer by Noah Gregory Tuesday, June 2, 2020 12:29 AM
    Sunday, May 31, 2020 6:24 PM

All replies

• I seem to be having the same issue since yesterday.  Can't log into Azure Portal.

Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:37 AM
  • Exactly the same issue here, error details are:

Error Code: 500121
    Request Id: 95b410f2-3c2f-421a-8298-33fd97230e00
    Correlation Id: 8fb64a1f-00a4-4958-94bc-f8b36c70fc4a

Timestamp: 2020-05-30T11:40:47Z

My account is an independent account and isn't associated with an organisation. Have attempted to login with different browsers just to disprove that it's a specific browser issue, purged cookies etc. with no effect either.

Saturday, May 30, 2020 11:58 AM
  • If you've gotten a new mobile device, you'll need to set it up to work with two-factor verification. This is a multi-step solution:

Set up your device to work with your work or school account by following the steps in the Set up my account for two-step verification article.

Update your account and device information in the Additional security verification page, deleting your old device and adding your new one. For more information, see the Manage your two-factor verification method settings article.

Optional steps:

Download, install, and set up the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device by following the steps in the Download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app article.

Turn on two-factor verification for your trusted devices by following the steps in the Turn on two-factor verification prompts on a trusted device
    Saturday, May 30, 2020 1:26 PM
  • Having the same issue and I need to logon to my account now.  I have a deadline for finishing an AZ training course.

I should clarify that I have not changed phone recently.

Sunday, May 31, 2020 11:57 AM
  • Same issue, can't login.  I've got the account linked to my phone but I'm not receiving the text with the code.
    Sunday, May 31, 2020 1:18 PM
  • Hi All,

I think I have discovered the problem - it looks as though there is a problem with the login mechanism if you're account is backed by github. I was able to rectify by signing out, forgetting this login, and choosing to login again using authenticator and not my password, see steps below.

When you get to the sign in page (where none of the links to approve, text, etc are working), choose cancel.

Then, at the 'pick an account page' click on the elipsis and choose 'sign out and forget' (notice the github symbol on the account profile icon).

Then, back at the sign in page, enter your email as you usually would, and click 'next'. Please note that, when I tried this, microsoft initially tells me that my account doesn't exist. If you get this, then try refreshing the page couple of times and try again.

You'll then be prompted to sign in using github or enter your password, do not click 'next' and do not enter your password, instead click on 'Other ways to sign in'.

You should then get the 'choose a way to sign in' dialog, where you can choose to enter your password or use authenticator. I chose the authenticator option and was able to get in. I tried using my password, but this brought me back to the same "we're having trouble verifying your account" issue reported above. Then, when attempting to sign out and back in again, I would notice the same github icon on my profile picture. For now, it would appear I can't use my password at all, otherwise it won't let me in.

For those who don't have authenticator, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get through if it sends a code to your mobile or if it sends a code to your email as your 2FA mechanism. Perhaps someone can feed back?

Apologies all - tried to include images to help, but account not yet verified so couldn't post them.

• Marked as answer by Noah Gregory Tuesday, June 2, 2020 12:29 AM
    Sunday, May 31, 2020 6:24 PM
  • If you've gotten a new mobile device, you'll need to set it up to work with two-factor verification. This is a multi-step solution:

Set up your device to work with your work or school account by following the steps in the Set up my account for two-step verification article.

Update your account and device information in the Additional security verification page, deleting your old device and adding your new one. For more information, see the Manage your two-factor verification method settings article.

Optional steps:

Download, install, and set up the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device by following the steps in the Download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app article.

Turn on two-factor verification for your trusted devices by following the steps in the Turn on two-factor verification prompts on a trusted device

Hi Max-44,

You have misunderstood. None of us have got a new mobile device, so the steps you have quoted are irrelevant.

We are experiencing an issue when attempting to sign in to the azure portal whereby, at the 2FA stage, we are being confronted by the 'verify your identity' dialog with a red error message below this saying 'Sorry, we're having trouble verifying your account. Please try again. View Details'. When we attempt to click on any of the links below this (Approve a request on my MS Authenticator app, Use a vertification code from my mobikle app, text +XX XXXX...), none of these links are responding, thus preventing us from signing in.

When we click on 'view details', provided in the error message, an error with error code 500121 is presented with no other useful information.

Please see my previous post above for potential workaround.

• Edited by MindThirst Sunday, May 31, 2020 7:02 PM
    Sunday, May 31, 2020 6:52 PM
  • Does anyone have any solutions yet? I've been stuck for a couple of days not being able to get in and no idea where to go next.

Edit: thanks to @MindThirsts instructions above I have now managed to workaround this problem.

Even though I had not previously set up the authenticator app on my mobile phone, I was able to download and set it up (which included several rounds of 2FA with SMS) and then use it to sign into the azure portal

Monday, June 1, 2020 12:45 PM
  • @Timrobinson33 - Happy to hear you managed to get in OK!

Monday, June 1, 2020 3:33 PM
  • @MindThirsts answer works! I still get the error when signing in with a regular password, and MFA doesn't even appear to be set up when I go to that section! Oh well, I'll look into it. Have gotten ZERO help from Microsoft support on this, but thankfully I'm at least in.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 12:30 AM
  • Great to hear you got in @Noah Gregory! happy I could help.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:59 PM