Identifying all enabled, alert-generating rules and monitors with an alert priority setting of ‘High’ RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

The Goal To identify all enabled, alert-generating rules and monitors with an alert priority setting of ‘High’.

As per thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagerextensibility/thread/6ee7b278-e16a-41cb-b026-78c1200ac3b3, the following query displays the count of each alert-generating rule & monitor associated to each MP:

Rules

ForEach ($MP in Get-ManagementPack) {$MP | Select @{Name="MP"; Expression= {$MP.Name}}, @{Name="Count"; Expression= {Foreach-Object {($MP.GetRules() | Where-Object {$_.WriteActionCollection -Match "Alert" -And $_.Enabled -Ne "False"}).Count}}}}

Monitors

ForEach ($MP in Get-ManagementPack) {$MP | Select @{Name="MP"; Expression= {$MP.Name}}, @{Name="Count"; Expression= {ForEach-Object {($MP.GetMonitors() | Where-Object {$_.AlertSettings -ne $null -And $_.Enabled -Ne "False"}).Count}}}}

Question #1

Though I was able to modify the command to further limit the scope to monitors that raise alerts with a priority of ‘High’, I am unable to do the same with rules.  The rule’s ‘Priority’ attribute does not reflect ‘Priority’ setting of the corresponding alert.  Also, there is no ‘AlertSettings’ field that I can query to get the ‘AlertPriority’ setting as is the case with monitors.

Question #2

As mentioned in the aforementioned thread:

"And as far as using (-match "GenerateAlert") for rules, this will work except when a composite module has been created that wraps the GenerateAlert action, therefore not necessarily having "GenerateAlert" in the text of the PS object."

Can the command be modified in such a way as to identify the monitors & rules that employ composite modules that wrap the Alert action?  Otherwise, is there a way to list each monitor & rule that leverages composite modules, such that they may be inspected by hand?

Question #3

I have come up with the following command that lists each of the enabled, alert-generating (with a ‘High’ priority) monitors:

ForEach-Object ($objManagementPack in Get-ManagementPack)

{

ForEach-Object ($objMonitor in $objManagementPack.GetMonitors() | Where-Object {$_.AlertSettings -ne $null -And $_.Enabled -Ne "False" -And $_.AlertSettings.AlertPriority -eq 'High'})

{

$objMonitor | Select

@{Name="MP"; Expression= {$objManagementPack.Name}},

@{Name="Monitor"; Expression= {$objMonitor.DisplayName}},

@{Name="Target"; Expression= {$objMonitor.Target}},

@{Name="Category"; Expression= {$objMonitor.Category}},

@{Name="Alert Severity"; Expression= {$objMonitor.AlertSettings.AlertSeverity}},

@{Name="Alert Priority"; Expression= {$objMonitor.AlertSettings.AlertPriority}},

@{Name="Auto Resolve"; Expression= {$objMonitor.AlertSettings.AutoResolve}} | Format-Table

}

}

The resulting output is such that a separate table is created for each monitor, rather than a single table with all monitors.  How can I create a single collection that is then piped over to Format-Table?

Thanks,

Larry

Monday, June 7, 2010 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi. No activity for 30 days. Will mark as answer. Feel free to re-open. Thanks
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft PFE | blog at http://www.contoso.se
    Friday, December 31, 2010 9:50 AM