Windows XP keyboard and mouse corrupted on Windows Login RRS feed

• Question

• How do I reinstall my keyboard and mouse drivers that got corrupted by a bug.  the computer rebooted and I no longer had the use of my keyboard and mouse at the login screen.  If I go to a setup screen before the login I do have keyboard functions.

Thanks for any help

Gary

Friday, April 27, 2012 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can boot the PC into safe mode by pressing the F8 key on boot, then when the menu appears, select safe mode without networking (If PC is a domain/server based PC you may need to proceed with networking)

Once you are in safe mode, log on and Launch Command Prompt and type the following command     shutdown -s -t 200    and press enter

This will give you 200 seconds to complete the next steps so make sure you (a) familiarise yourself with them and (b) act fast

navigate to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Device Manager

Click on the Hardware Tab

Select your keyboard and right click, select Uninstall

Select your mouse and right click, select Uninstall

(NOTE YOUR MOUSE WILL NOT OPERATE ONCE UNINSTALLED)

As per the command run earlier, your PC will shut down after 200 seconds so just be patiend and it will begin the shutdown process.

Once shut down, (Assuming the mouse and Keyboard are USB connections), Unplug them and power the PC back on again and allow it to boot into Windows normally. (If the connections are PS2 type then do not unplug, just leave them in.

Once windows has booted, plug your USB keyboard and mouse back in

Wait for a few moments as Windows will need time to recognise the drivers and install them.

Once complete, reboot and you should be fine.

Things to consider - If there is an external USB hub being used to connect your keyboard and mouse, this may be the issue, it is important to plug the keyboard and mouse direct into the back of the PC to rule out any issues with 3rd party hardware.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can boot the PC into safe mode by pressing the F8 key on boot, then when the menu appears, select safe mode without networking (If PC is a domain/server based PC you may need to proceed with networking)

Once you are in safe mode, log on and Launch Command Prompt and type the following command     shutdown -s -t 200    and press enter

This will give you 200 seconds to complete the next steps so make sure you (a) familiarise yourself with them and (b) act fast

navigate to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Device Manager

Click on the Hardware Tab

Select your keyboard and right click, select Uninstall

Select your mouse and right click, select Uninstall

(NOTE YOUR MOUSE WILL NOT OPERATE ONCE UNINSTALLED)

As per the command run earlier, your PC will shut down after 200 seconds so just be patiend and it will begin the shutdown process.

Once shut down, (Assuming the mouse and Keyboard are USB connections), Unplug them and power the PC back on again and allow it to boot into Windows normally. (If the connections are PS2 type then do not unplug, just leave them in.

Once windows has booted, plug your USB keyboard and mouse back in

Wait for a few moments as Windows will need time to recognise the drivers and install them.

Once complete, reboot and you should be fine.

Things to consider - If there is an external USB hub being used to connect your keyboard and mouse, this may be the issue, it is important to plug the keyboard and mouse direct into the back of the PC to rule out any issues with 3rd party hardware.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:05 AM
  • In addition to Mr. Martin G Evans, please make sure whether the usb devices/peripherals  are enabled in the BIOS settings.

Thanks and Regards Mohamed

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:27 AM