Offline files performance - prefer local storage RRS feed

• Question

• I am using offline files to sync the files with my fileserver. If I copy a file to my location where offline files is enabled, the files are directly uploaded when the fileservers is reachable. However, this is a big penalty for my performance. The fileserver is much slower than my local disks.

I've changed the location of the offline files to my D: drive to save space on my ssd. If I copy a large file to this location, the speed is about 40MB, the speed of my fileserver. If the file is first copied to my local disk, the transfer rate would be about 200MB/s because I've got two velociraptors in a raid-0 configuration.

Because of this, I rather want to copy the file to my local disk first, and the sync tool should start syncing after the file transfer is done. Is there any possibility to reach my goal or is this chosen by design? If so, what is the benefit of the choice?

Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Why don't you copy the files to your D: drive directly? You can write a batch, add it in the Task Scheduler and make it copy the files automatically.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:13 AM
  • A bath file would also do the job indeed :) Just thinking too hard... The only disadvantage is that the files are not copied immediately, but I can live with that.
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Why don't you copy the files to your D: drive directly? You can write a batch, add it in the Task Scheduler and make it copy the files automatically.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:13 AM
  • A bath file would also do the job indeed :) Just thinking too hard... The only disadvantage is that the files are not copied immediately, but I can live with that.
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:34 PM