Trouble with URL RuleSet in UAG 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to publish a website through UAG.  It's a very simple PHP page which requires no authentication.  

I created a portal link using the "Other Web Application" with these settings:

Address Type: IP/Host
    Addresses: IP address of server
    Paths: /

Under portal link I put the Application URL as: http://XX.XXX.XX.XX/pjpoints

When I published it I was getting the "Invalid URL Path" error.  When I checked the event log for my session I saw:

A request from source IP address XX.XX.XX.XX, user user on trunk  trunkname; Secure=1 for application PowerPoints Portal of type Website failed. The URL /pjpoints contains an illegal path. The rule applied is Default rule. The method is GET.

After some searching I found out that I need to add a rule to the URL Set.  So I tried adding a rule as follows:

Name: PowerPoints_Rule1
    Action: Accept
    URL: /pjpoints/.*
    Parameters: Ignore
    Methods: GET, POST, PUT

I also added a second rule exactly the same as the first but with the URL: /pjpoints

I activated the configuration but I still get the same error.  I'm sure I'm just setting up the rule wrong but I have no idea what part I messed up.  Can somebody help me out?

(I've worked around this issue by selecting "Evaluate without enforcement" in the portal application settings, but I'd prefer to not leave it like that)

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:14 PM

Answers

• Figured it out.

I was publishing all of my websites with the "Application Type" of "website" but it only created a rule for the first one.  Once I changed the "Application Type" so each published application was different, it created the rule automatically. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Mark!

• Marked as answer by nmuleski1 Friday, March 1, 2013 8:47 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 8:47 PM

All replies

• The Name of the rule must start with the application type you used when you created the application, followed by _, followed by whatever you want. Note apptype is case sensitive.
    Friday, March 1, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Note that some rule was probably already auto-created when you first added the app. Maybe since then you adjusted the path in app properties which is why you need to now adjust rules. So it's probably an edit to an existing rule that's needed, not a new rule. Look for existing rules whose name starts with your app type..
    Friday, March 1, 2013 5:12 PM
  • The Name of the rule must start with the application type you used when you created the application, followed by _, followed by whatever you want. Note apptype is case sensitive.

I used the "Other Web Application (application specific hostname)" application to publish the page, so does that mean I need to use the Application Type that I provided when publishing the app?

Friday, March 1, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Note that some rule was probably already auto-created when you first added the app. Maybe since then you adjusted the path in app properties which is why you need to now adjust rules. So it's probably an edit to an existing rule that's needed, not a new rule. Look for existing rules whose name starts with your app type..

The only rules I see in the URL Set list start with:

-FileAccess

-InternalSite

-MSTSC_W2008RD_Disable All

-Portal_Rule

-Web_Monitor

-SharePoint

I don't see any rules for any of the Remote Desktop or Web Sites I've published...

Friday, March 1, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Yes, you would have typed in the application type when you created the app.  And you can still see it in the main gui screen when looking at application list.  Maybe looking at the event log snippet you provided, it might be "Website"?  Not sure why the rule didn't get autocreated.  You can either create rule manually, or delete the app altogether and re-add it and see if that makes the rule appear..

If none of this works the other thing to consider is that you already published the same IP/path/port within another application.  Which would also confuse the UAG and require a more in depth look at the apps in question and what the goals are..
    • Edited by Mark Resnik Friday, March 1, 2013 8:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Resnik Friday, March 1, 2013 9:00 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Figured it out.

I was publishing all of my websites with the "Application Type" of "website" but it only created a rule for the first one.  Once I changed the "Application Type" so each published application was different, it created the rule automatically. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Mark!

• Marked as answer by nmuleski1 Friday, March 1, 2013 8:47 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 8:47 PM