What is the best way to export and import updates between WSUS servers for specific KB's with environments that have different data sets? RRS feed

• Question

• We are under strict regulations and monitoring at my company. Because of this, we have to define what updates are being installed during a patch cycle by KB Article. Two production networks and one test network. The installed updates have to be the exact same in the test environment, run for a few days with no problems, and then we install them in our production networks. The issue is, not all of the software in the environments is identical.

I need to figure out a way to take failed/needed updates from production that are unapproved, export that list so I can approve all of those updates in the test env.. Then once I approve those and any other needed updates in test, I need to be able to export all approved updates from the test env (which includes the needed ones from production) and import those approvals in production.

How can this be done?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 5:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• the easiest way will be to use a single wsus infrastructre for all your environments.

Tis blog article explains how to duplicate the approvals over groups:

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/application-and-server_tht/patchzone/blog/2013/08/06/duplicating-approvals-from-a-test-group-to-a-production-group

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:48 PM
  • You can import multiple sets of updates into a single WSUS server using wsusutil.exe. When you do that, the sets of updates will be merged together.

We don't have a way to export only certain updates from a WSUS server using wsusutil.exe. Additionally, we don't have a way of exporting approvals using wsusutil.exe.

• Proposed as answer by Ben Herila [MSFT] Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by djmevans Wednesday, October 8, 2014 11:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:21 PM
  • If there's no way to export the approvals then what data is actually being exported? In our case, the most important part we would want to export is the approved updates themselves.
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:19 PM
  • WSUSUTIL Import/Export imports or exports all update metadata. This functionality is provided to allow admins to bridge an "air gap" between a WSUS server that's connected to the internet and another one that's not. Target groups, computer identities, etc. are not imported or exported by WSUSUTIL.

The approvals would then be set on the server after importing is complete.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:45 PM