2008 r2 KMS RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently running a 2008 R2 server with VAMT 2.0.67.0.  It works fine for Office 2010 and 2008 R2 (and previous) versions, however we now need to activate Office 2013, Windows 8 / 8.1, and 2012 / R2.   

I'm assuming I need to install the following patches but wanted to confirm with you guys:

1) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757817/en-us

2) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885698/en-us

3) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35584

Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:27 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the quick response.  I guess I keep seeing conflicting reports as to whether or not VAMT 2.0 can activate Office 2013 / Windows 8 / Windows 2012 products.  

None of those updates are needed, nor specifically relevant, to VAMT at all. Those updates are needed if you want your older KMShost to be able to issue activations for newer client products.

I don't use VAMT, so can't speak to what you will or won't need to do for that, but, there may be a need for you to upgrade to a newer VAMT for VAMT to handle the newer products.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, February 7, 2014 5:40 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 7:29 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  If we upgrade KMS is there any reason why we can't just start managing it outside of VAMT?
    You can use KMS without VAMT, that's what I do. 

Also, I see the command as slmgr /ipk 1234-45678-etc and the description is "replaces existing key".  How do I ensure that whatever changes I make still allow Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 2008 / 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 and Office 2007/2010/2013 can still activate?
    slmgr.vbs allows you to manage the installed product keys on the KMShost, and, it also allows you to manage the installed product keys on KMSclients. (one of the features of VAMT is to give you an easier way to manage KMSclient product keys from a central point)

I guess I'm not exactly understanding how you install multiple keys in KMS.
    Windows machines (regardless if they are KMShost or KMSclient or MAK or Retail or OEM) can only have a single Windows product key installed. This is why setting up a KMShost requires you to choose the OS version and then apply the relevant updates and then install the relevant KMShost product key.
    On the KMShost, use "slmgr.vbs /ipk" to install the relevant/chosen product key.
    The table/matrix in this wiki article I created, hopefully shows the various allowed combinations:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22510.volume-activation-kms-mak-adba-avma.aspx 
    Using slmgr.vbs you can also install the Office KMShost function. Office KMShost keys are different to Windows keys, in that you can have more than one Office KMShost key installed.
    e.g. on my KMShost (which is WS2008R2 OS) I have the updates and keys to allow WS2012R2 plus Office2010 plus Office2013. So my KMShost has 3 keys installed (1 for Windows, and the two different Office KMShost keys)

I'm assuming I would just add our 2012 R2 key and Office 2013 key.  Will these keys activate all previous versions of Windows/Office?
    Yes for Windows, no for Office.
    Windows KMShost keys are "cumulative", they will activate OS versions at the version level of the KMShost pkey and all below it.
    Office doesn't work the same, if you want to activate Office2010 install the KMShost pkey for Office2010.
    If you want to activate Office20103 install the KMShost pkey for Office2013.
    If you want to activate both versions of Office, you need to install both updates and both KMShost pkeys.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Frentic Monday, May 19, 2014 9:55 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 9:08 PM
  • One last question.  I've seen various articles, some recommending using a Class B or Class C KMS key.  Which one should I be using?  The KMS keys I have don't designate the class.

The group/channel/class of "A", "B", "C" is discontinued for WS2012/WS2012R2 KMShost pkeys.
    In WS2012/WS2012R2 KMShost pkeys, there is only a single type of KMShost pkey.

Don

• Marked as answer by Frentic Friday, May 23, 2014 12:22 PM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yep, that looks about right to me.
    This wiki article I put together should help:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22510.volume-activation-kms-mak-adba-avma.aspx

If you want the later version of VAMT, you'll need to grab the WADK for that.

Don

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:26 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

Yep, that looks about right to me.
    This wiki article I put together should help:

If you want the later version of VAMT, you'll need to grab the WADK for that.

Don

Thanks for the quick response.  I guess I keep seeing conflicting reports as to whether or not VAMT 2.0 can activate Office 2013 / Windows 8 / Windows 2012 products.  
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:30 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.  I guess I keep seeing conflicting reports as to whether or not VAMT 2.0 can activate Office 2013 / Windows 8 / Windows 2012 products.  

None of those updates are needed, nor specifically relevant, to VAMT at all. Those updates are needed if you want your older KMShost to be able to issue activations for newer client products.

I don't use VAMT, so can't speak to what you will or won't need to do for that, but, there may be a need for you to upgrade to a newer VAMT for VAMT to handle the newer products.

Don

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, February 7, 2014 5:40 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 7:29 AM
  •  Just a note to say Great Job! on that KMS post.  Nice to see a single source for so much information related to MMS.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:27 PM
  • I guess I'm not clear on what I need to do.  If I have VAMT 2.0 what do I need to do in order to activate Office 2013 / Windows 8.1 / 2012?
    Monday, February 10, 2014 4:49 PM
  • I guess I'm not clear on what I need to do.  If I have VAMT 2.0 what do I need to do in order to activate Office 2013 / Windows 8.1 / 2012?

Putting VAMT off to the side for a moment, do you use MAK product keys, or, KMS product keys, in your organisation?

What products (Windows versions, and, Office versions) do you use in your organisation?

Don

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:40 AM

Putting VAMT off to the side for a moment, do you use MAK product keys, or, KMS product keys, in your organisation?

What products (Windows versions, and, Office versions) do you use in your organisation?

Don

We use KMS keys with VAMT 2.0.  We activate Server 2008/2012, Office 2007/2010/2013, Windows 7/8, etc. 

Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:27 PM
    --

We use KMS keys with VAMT 2.0.  We activate Server 2008/2012, Office 2007/2010/2013, Windows 7/8, etc. 

If your existing KMShost is running WS2008R2, you will need to apply the update packages you mentioned above in (1), (2), (3) to your KMShost. This will enable it to issue activations to the newer KMSclient products you've mentioned.

VAMT is not required for any of that.
    If you are using VAMT2.0, you may (I don't know, I don't use VAMT at all) need to check that VAMT2.0 can manage the newer product keys. If it doesn't handle the new keys, you will need to upgrade to VAMT3.0 or VAMT3.1.
    You can obtain VAMT3.1 by downloading the WADK, and choosing the VAMT component.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824825.aspx

There are a number of significant changes in VAMT3 compared to VAMT2, according to the documentation, so you should read the documentation carefully. I think it involves exporting your data from VAMT2 prior to installing/upgrading VAMT3.

Don

Friday, May 16, 2014 11:54 PM
    --

If your existing KMShost is running WS2008R2, you will need to apply the update packages you mentioned above in (1), (2), (3) to your KMShost. This will enable it to issue activations to the newer KMSclient products you've mentioned.

VAMT is not required for any of that.
    If you are using VAMT2.0, you may (I don't know, I don't use VAMT at all) need to check that VAMT2.0 can manage the newer product keys. If it doesn't handle the new keys, you will need to upgrade to VAMT3.0 or VAMT3.1.
    You can obtain VAMT3.1 by downloading the WADK, and choosing the VAMT component.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824825.aspx

There are a number of significant changes in VAMT3 compared to VAMT2, according to the documentation, so you should read the documentation carefully. I think it involves exporting your data from VAMT2 prior to installing/upgrading VAMT3.

Don

Thanks for the response.  If we upgrade KMS is there any reason why we can't just start managing it outside of VAMT?  Also, I see the command as slmgr /ipk 1234-45678-etc and the description is "replaces existing key".  How do I ensure that whatever changes I make still allow Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 2008 / 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 and Office 2007/2010/2013 can still activate?  I guess I'm not exactly understanding how you install multiple keys in KMS.

I'm assuming I would just add our 2012 R2 key and Office 2013 key.  Will these keys activate all previous versions of Windows/Office?

• Edited by Frentic Monday, May 19, 2014 7:08 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  If we upgrade KMS is there any reason why we can't just start managing it outside of VAMT?

Also, I see the command as slmgr /ipk 1234-45678-etc and the description is "replaces existing key".  How do I ensure that whatever changes I make still allow Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 2008 / 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 and Office 2007/2010/2013 can still activate?
    slmgr.vbs allows you to manage the installed product keys on the KMShost, and, it also allows you to manage the installed product keys on KMSclients. (one of the features of VAMT is to give you an easier way to manage KMSclient product keys from a central point)

Windows machines (regardless if they are KMShost or KMSclient or MAK or Retail or OEM) can only have a single Windows product key installed. This is why setting up a KMShost requires you to choose the OS version and then apply the relevant updates and then install the relevant KMShost product key.
    On the KMShost, use "slmgr.vbs /ipk" to install the relevant/chosen product key.
    The table/matrix in this wiki article I created, hopefully shows the various allowed combinations:
    Using slmgr.vbs you can also install the Office KMShost function. Office KMShost keys are different to Windows keys, in that you can have more than one Office KMShost key installed.
    e.g. on my KMShost (which is WS2008R2 OS) I have the updates and keys to allow WS2012R2 plus Office2010 plus Office2013. So my KMShost has 3 keys installed (1 for Windows, and the two different Office KMShost keys)

Windows KMShost keys are "cumulative", they will activate OS versions at the version level of the KMShost pkey and all below it.
    Office doesn't work the same, if you want to activate Office2010 install the KMShost pkey for Office2010.
    If you want to activate both versions of Office, you need to install both updates and both KMShost pkeys.

Don

• Marked as answer by Frentic Monday, May 19, 2014 9:55 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 9:08 PM

Don

One last question.  I've seen various articles, some recommending using a Class B or Class C KMS key.  Which one should I be using?  The KMS keys I have don't designate the class.
    • Edited by Frentic Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:23 PM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:13 PM
  • One last question.  I've seen various articles, some recommending using a Class B or Class C KMS key.  Which one should I be using?  The KMS keys I have don't designate the class.

The group/channel/class of "A", "B", "C" is discontinued for WS2012/WS2012R2 KMShost pkeys.

Don

• Marked as answer by Frentic Friday, May 23, 2014 12:22 PM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:58 PM

Don

Can a single KMS host be activated multiple times?  I'm looking to test the update process in a lab going from a 2008 R2 KMS with 2008 R2 KMS key to a 2008 R2 KMS with the updates and activating the 2012 R2 KMS key.
    Friday, May 23, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Can a single KMS host be activated multiple times?  I'm looking to test the update process in a lab going from a 2008 R2 KMS with 2008 R2 KMS key to a 2008 R2 KMS with the updates and activating the 2012 R2 KMS key.

Yes. There are limits on the use of a KMShost pkey:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx

Activating Subsequent KMS Hosts

Each KMS key can be installed on up to six KMS hosts, which can be physical computers or virtual machines. After activating a KMS host, the same host can be reactivated up to nine more times with the same key.

If the organization needs more than six KMS hosts, You can request additional activations for the organization’s KMS key by calling the Activation Call Center to request an exception. For more information, see the Volume Licensing Web site at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=73076.

Don

Friday, May 23, 2014 11:01 PM