How to setup these permissions? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to sharepoint administration, although as an engineer i install it on a regular basis for clients. I have a client that wants me to configure permissions for his sharepoint and I want to make sure i do it correctly since he has a subsite.

So here is the info:

Main Site
    - Folder1
    - Folder2
    - Folder3

Sub Site
    -Folder1
    -Folder2
    -Folder3

User 1 needs access to MainSite/Folder 2
    User 2 needs access to Subsite/Folder2
    ETC

I have gone into the permissions for Subsite/Folder2 and added user2 but when i go to the sharepoint site via http://companyweb.domain.com
    He gets access is denied
    if I make him a "member" of Subsite, he can log in but he has access to all folders in subsite. I would like it not to list any folders but the ones he has access to?

How can I fix this?

Brad Nelson MCSE/DCSE/A+/Network+/WCSP
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:49 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

I understand that you want to show the user only the files he has access to  .If you only give the user access to folders while don’t give him access to the site ,he can’t access the folder either .You must enter the URL to the folder to view it .It is inconvenient .

So I suggest  making  him a member of the site .Then he can access to the site to view the folders . In order to hide other folders which the user don’t have access to , there are two ways.

• First one you can set the permissions on every folder by open the drop down arrow  of the folder and choose ‘Manage permissions’ .Here you can add or remove users and groups to give or take away permissions .
    • The second way is to create a view which filter the folders which the user don’t have access to  .

1.       Create a  column to hold the user who have access to the folder.

2.       Then  create a view to filter on the column ,like show items when ‘column’ ‘is equal’ to ‘[me].

In this way ,it is not very safe .Because  when users change the default view  ,they  can see other  folders .

If you have any more questions ,please feel free to ask .

Thanks,

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Try this,

Site Actions:View all site content.

Select folder then settings. Document Library Settings and permissions for this document library.

Actions:Edit Permissions.  Remove inheritance.  Remove users that should not have access.

User needs permission on mainsite to traverse to folders.

TO HIDE options such as view all site content on the navigation bar in the site.  Create a alternate_core.css file and select the object to hide for example:

#ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_idNavLinkViewAll {
        display = none; display: none !important}

Daniel

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:05 PM

All replies

• Here take a look at this article. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/manage-permissions-for-a-list-library-folder-document-or-list-item-HA010021564.aspx

Navigate to the list or library containing folders. Click on the folder on which you want to break inheritance. Click on Manger Permissions. On Actions Menu, Click Edit Permission and then Click ok to confirm. 

This would allow you to edit the permissions of the specific folder, which will provide access to add specific users. 

V
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Are you using the name "companyweb" because this is installed on top of Small Business Server (where it is the standard, official name for a SP site in that environment) ? 

(If not - please in future call it something else!)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:18 AM
  • Hi ,

I understand that you want to show the user only the files he has access to  .If you only give the user access to folders while don’t give him access to the site ,he can’t access the folder either .You must enter the URL to the folder to view it .It is inconvenient .

So I suggest  making  him a member of the site .Then he can access to the site to view the folders . In order to hide other folders which the user don’t have access to , there are two ways.

• First one you can set the permissions on every folder by open the drop down arrow  of the folder and choose ‘Manage permissions’ .Here you can add or remove users and groups to give or take away permissions .
    • The second way is to create a view which filter the folders which the user don’t have access to  .

1.       Create a  column to hold the user who have access to the folder.

2.       Then  create a view to filter on the column ,like show items when ‘column’ ‘is equal’ to ‘[me].

In this way ,it is not very safe .Because  when users change the default view  ,they  can see other  folders .

If you have any more questions ,please feel free to ask .

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to say hi to know if our suggestion is helpful to you, if you have any questions, please drop a note to me.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Monday, June 6, 2011 1:45 AM
  • Try this,

Site Actions:View all site content.

Select folder then settings. Document Library Settings and permissions for this document library.

Actions:Edit Permissions.  Remove inheritance.  Remove users that should not have access.

User needs permission on mainsite to traverse to folders.

TO HIDE options such as view all site content on the navigation bar in the site.  Create a alternate_core.css file and select the object to hide for example:

#ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_idNavLinkViewAll {
        display = none; display: none !important}

Daniel

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:05 PM