cannot install x86 drivers on windows 2008 r2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add the xp x386 drivers but cannot. I tried to install local on the pc and connect to the server but got the error: the server for the hp laserjet 4100 pcl6 printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. When I try to install on xp with the correct drivers is says windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver

When I try to add the hpcu091.inf file to the servers via printer name - manage sharing - additional drivers -  click on x86 and select the inf file, it states the specified location does not contain the driver hp laserjet 4100 series pcl6 for the requested processor architecture

I can install the inf on xp and connect to the printer via IP and all is good.

I  need to manage print queue's from the windows 2008 server.  PLEASE HELP!!
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:13 PM

Answers

• you will need ntprint.inf, ntprint.cat, driver.cab EXPANDED into flat file format.  You could just expand the files you need from driver.cab but you would need to read through the inf to dertermine the files needes and it would just be easiest to expand all the files.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:11 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:41 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi jwestrock,

Please see 'Preparing for cross-architecture migrations' at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379527%28WS.10%29.aspx for some details.

"As a best practice, you need to install a driver with the same name as the native architecture. To add the x86-based driver to the x64-based destination server, use the x86-based client to remotely open the x64-based server using Windows Explorer and navigate to the remote printer folder and add the driver. To install an x64-based driver on the x86-based source server, use the x64-based client to remotely open the x86-based server using Windows Explorer and navigate to the remote printer folder and add the driver."
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:08 PM
  • are you saying I just need to copy the entire hp driver folder from xp pc to server to my spool folder and put them here? \\server01Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:21 PM
  • It isnt clear to me what you are asking. It cant be a simple copy an .inf file to the server. I have searched for an answer for 3 hours. Can the moderator step in and assist and tell me what to do?

Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Start with the print driver names.  They need to match exactly.  If it's not the same name it's not the same driver.  PCL6 does not equal PCL 6.  If you are using a Universal driver for a device, be sure to install the matching x86 Universal driver.   Read the prompt for files dialog.  You will need to point to a machine which has with x86 Windows 7 installed (or Vista) when prompted for the x86 OS components.  The files you need are under
    \\Win7machine\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ntprint...x86\

point to the ntprint.inf at that location.  No the files are not expanded on the DVD so you can't use the DVD as a file source.

Or just add the x86 driver to the x64 print server remotely from a 32bit Vista or Win7 client using Print management console.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:35 PM
    Answerer
  • apparently i just dont get it... I tried it at home using hyper and got the same error. I installed a hp  printer on the server. I go to my xp machine and browse to that printer to connect \\dc1\ and open the printer and it says again the server for the hp business inkjet 1200 does not have the correct driver installed, i select "OK" then it goes to system32 and finds %winnt%.inf, open then it states printer setup driver error operation could not be completed. So they I downloaded the drivers, connected to \\dc1 opened up the printer adn tried installoing using the downloaded files for xp 32bit and got the exact same error "windows cannot find a suitable driver".. It cant be this difflicult to install a printer driver....
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:57 PM

• What is the x64 driver name?

What is the x86 driver name?

Launch Print Management on the Server 2008 R2 machine.  There is a complete drivers list is in Custom Filters, All Drivers.  You can export the driver list to a text file and paste the information back here.

You're not the first to jump this hurtle, but I know you can do this.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Im closer... I get to the screen that says you have successfully installed the drivers and its going to add the x86 but... it asks for the I386 folder for the windows x86 media so I copied the I386 folder from the XP cd and then it does nothing but keeps asking for the i386 directory (searching for ntprint which it does see)..
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:05 PM
  • If you are installing the drivers from XP media, you will need to expand the driver.cab file for the files are in a flat format.  It would be best to have the same version of the drivers for x86 and x64.  You will wind up with UI failures when one driver contains data settings that are not compatible with a different version of the driver.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Here is where I am stuck at. After I load the driver within print management wizard, it asks for the windows media (x86 processor). I tried the XP media and copying the 1386 dirtectory but no luck
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:11 PM
  • you will need ntprint.inf, ntprint.cat, driver.cab EXPANDED into flat file format.  You could just expand the files you need from driver.cab but you would need to read through the inf to dertermine the files needes and it would just be easiest to expand all the files.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:11 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:41 AM
    Answerer
  • This solution does not work...what if you have XP pro machines in your environment?

• Proposed as answer by abcdSosa Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:38 PM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Where are you getting stuck?  Have you added a driver that is include in Windows 7 or XP.  Once you have the 32bit core files installed you will not be prompted again.  I suggest installing a 32bit Windows 7 driver onto the print server.  DO NOT start by attempting to add a vendor driver.  Get an inbox driver installed first so you know the dialog prompts.  Once you have mastered this, add the vendor driver.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:46 PM
    Answerer
  • The original question was the inability to add additional drivers(x86) on a W2K8 server that support the XP OS. Somewhere along the way the solution mentions using Win 7 or Vista. Why?

Anyway, we have the same issues all over our network.....

Attempting to add additional 32-bit(x86) drivers to printers queued from (x64) W2K8 servers, doesn't work. Even after downloading and ensuring the print driver names are identical, you get the message that was originally spelled out at the beginning of this thread....that a driver doesn't exist for the suitable architecture. 

A NOTE on the Technet site(linked here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753109(WS.10).aspx) says the following:

"Then use Print Management from the client computer to connect to the print server, and add the additional drivers from the Additional Drivers dialog box. Windows automatically uploads the drivers from the client computer to the print server."

Client computer? You mean Windows XP?? How exactly are you supposed to run the Print Management utility on a W2K8 Server from Windows XP?

Monday, November 15, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Client computer? You mean Windows XP?? How exactly are you supposed to run the Print Management utility on a W2K8 Server from Windows XP?

What specific driver(s) are you having issues with?  Many vendors newer x86 drivers properly install on Windows 2008 R2 x64 from using the print management console.  I've only ran into one vendor (forget if ricoh or xerox) where I had to install the x86 drivers from XP.

From XP, I logged on with an admin account, connected up to \\printserver, opened Printers and Faxes, Server Properties and then went about adding the x86 driver.

As previously mentioned, the x86 driver name must MATCH the x64 driver, otherwise the x86 client won't be able to download the driver during connection to the print server.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:52 AM
  • I have the same problem.  Windows 2008 R2 Print Server.  Trying to add x86 driver for Okidata Pacemark 4410.  The driver for x64 installed fine.

I get asked for the disk when trying to add the x86 driver.  Called Oki Support and they say it is native and should be on the OS CD.  I have the CD but don't know where to look for this.

I have a Windows 7 x64 OS and XP sp3 32bit machine I can use to grab whatever I need if necessary. 

If you can walk me through how to install this I would appreciate it. 

I don't understand where to get "ntprint.inf, ntprint.cat, driver.cab" and EXPAND into flat file format."  Is this on the Windows 2008 R2 install CD?

I have a few others to do after this driver (Epson and Kyocera) so if I can get this one done I can do the rest on my own.

Thanks for any help.

Denise

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:03 PM
  • the 32bit drivers are not included with Server 2008 R2. They are included only with the 32bit Windows 7 installation or the 32bit Windows 7 image.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:17 AM
    Answerer
  • Allan Morris ideas behind the Print Management tool is new to me too. At first I too did not understand his brief wordings. I think most of us are all stuck with the practice of running vendor based family drivers setup files. Since Windows 2008 things have gone for the better !

Lets face the Print Migration Tool. I too had a need for an HP Deskjet 450 (anno 2004/2005) x86 printer driver on my new Windows 2008r2 (x64) printserver. Since we still have W2K3 Terminal servers, we need to setup 32bit drivers on the printserver. I visited the HP site and such an old printer has no Win 7 print drivers posted, only a statement was there that there are native OS drivers in this particular case. Of course HP didn't do any effort to distribute these 'native os drivers'.

What is a nativeOS driver anyway ? Well its not the full featured driver of the vendor from its ancient times, but a functional driver at least. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01874725&lc=en

Ok I to tried to add additional drivers on the PrintServer  (lifting the the x86 option) but the driver.cab on your windows 2008r2 does not contain the x86 files. At first why not ? They (MS)  didn't consider it. Ok as I had a notebook with Windows 7 Pro x86 ,  have a print management snap-in in administrative tools (>< Windows 7 Home Premium) I installed the HP 450 Deskjet x86 driver on it . Then in the print management tool on my laptop  I rightclicked my "printserver" which is my local Windows 7 x86 system and exported all to a single cabinet file. This file contains your printers, ports and drivers all existing at time on your local system. A pitty you can't just export one printer or driver , but this is as far as it goes for now. Still I had no clue on what to expect and went experimental.

I became a bit curious to my export cab file and opened it with 7-zip. I Immediately saw a drivers section and I unpacked this.

Then I saw yet 2 cabinet files in my drivers section as I had a.o. a  Ricoh Printer installed as well on my Laptop. I opened one of the cabinet files with hp its name, and extracted this one. Thi clearly revealed a driver strcutue as you would obtain from a vendor CD/DVD. I removed on my local Windows 7 x86  system my HP Deskjet 450 driver. Then I reinstalled it using my extracted 'hp' driver cabinetfile. Fine, this works as kind of backup tool !!!

Then I decided to step up and went to my Windows 2008r2 server, and copied over the extracted (hp) cabinet from my Win 7 x86 initial setup and extracted it.

I went to additional drivers, x86 and referred to the exported files, I had the whole bunch of HP windows os native drivers (just as I had when readding them to my Laptop) and chose HP450 Deskjet. Thanks to Allan, this whole new concept reveiled itself before my eyes ! Now I understand his wordings and his copying of files and Print  Management tool much better..

I would suggest, run my (your) experiment and you wil better understand this whole new concept ! I kind of understand too why Citrix no longer has the printerdriver replication tool for its Xenapp 6 or higher that I missed so much . Now at least I have a good alternative. I even consider making an complete dump (export as it is called) as a backup, copy it to file server and use it for recovering my printserver should a need arise.

• Edited by StefT Friday, December 16, 2011 2:05 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 1:54 AM