none
Project Online permission for Project Maanger and Project Team RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Expert

After I test, I have questions in below

I set up Project A and Project B, Employee A and Employee B.

1. When I create a project from user: <g class="gr_ gr_50 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="50" id="50">vpepj</g>.pre01, why I see the another project from another project Manager. How do I set the permission, he should view only his project.

2. When I assign the task to vpepj.ess01 but vpepj.ess01 can view another employee like vpepj.ess02. I need him to view only his task. How do I configure?

3. How do I expand this column?

4. How do view a <g class="gr_ gr_111 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="111" id="111">timesheet</g> in each employee view? Current, I didn’t see the timesheet

Sunday, July 16, 2017 1:27 AM

Answers

• Quite a lot of questions here. I'll try to give you some hints for each of them, for sure you'll have still some questions since your concerns are related to Project Online very basics.

1. By default, the Project Online security model works with groups and categories. I do remember that the out-of-the-box model allows the project managers to see only projects they own. So PM1 should see only his projects. Unless you modified the default security model. Note that if you have admin rights, obviously you see all projects, but it is not what the standard PMs see. See this article about Project Server / Online security model. To summarize, check first what your PMs see in the project center. Otherwise the standard model also proposes the RBS, resource breakdown structure which allows to define your organization structure and configure categories so users can only see project according to their role or position in the RBS.

2. What you show in your screenshot is the schedule page in the project. As soon as a user can open (even in read only mode) the project, he can see any task in the project. Note that you can also use categories to associate views to groups of users, so you can hide some columns for user's categories. Note also that you have a group permission "view project center" which you can remove from the team member group so they can't see it. They will access their tasks with the "TASK" link in the quick launch menu.

3. Just like for an Excel column, put your cursor on the right side of the column and expand it. Note that in the view settings (PWA server settings, manage views), you can define the default width (pixel) of the columns.

4. Under the PWA Server settings, click on QUICK LAUNCH under Look and Feel. For the timesheet row, check the box to display the timesheet link on the quick launch menu.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:37 AM

All replies

• Quite a lot of questions here. I'll try to give you some hints for each of them, for sure you'll have still some questions since your concerns are related to Project Online very basics.

1. By default, the Project Online security model works with groups and categories. I do remember that the out-of-the-box model allows the project managers to see only projects they own. So PM1 should see only his projects. Unless you modified the default security model. Note that if you have admin rights, obviously you see all projects, but it is not what the standard PMs see. See this article about Project Server / Online security model. To summarize, check first what your PMs see in the project center. Otherwise the standard model also proposes the RBS, resource breakdown structure which allows to define your organization structure and configure categories so users can only see project according to their role or position in the RBS.

2. What you show in your screenshot is the schedule page in the project. As soon as a user can open (even in read only mode) the project, he can see any task in the project. Note that you can also use categories to associate views to groups of users, so you can hide some columns for user's categories. Note also that you have a group permission "view project center" which you can remove from the team member group so they can't see it. They will access their tasks with the "TASK" link in the quick launch menu.

3. Just like for an Excel column, put your cursor on the right side of the column and expand it. Note that in the view settings (PWA server settings, manage views), you can define the default width (pixel) of the columns.

4. Under the PWA Server settings, click on QUICK LAUNCH under Look and Feel. For the timesheet row, check the box to display the timesheet link on the quick launch menu.

Hope this helps,

Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Thank you, CAn you suggest me the project online e-book to study from scratch?

and can you suggest how to create the project report? If customer has many project, they need to view the project progress.

Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:17 AM
  • Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Thnak you, no free ebook from Microsoft Press :)
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:27 AM
  • I wonder one thing, when I create the project site from <g class="gr_ gr_18 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="18" id="18">scrath</g>, I select Enterprise Project. but when I click "Project Site"

it didn't show the project site. Can we connected <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="19" id="19">sharepoint</g> site automatically

and another thing, I'm not sure. I'm <g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="15" id="15">wrong,</g> when I set up project <g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="16" id="16">manager</g> group. It shows 2 projects for one project. I'm not sure what's missing.

and another thing, you mentioned the Power BI, I saw the tab "report", it can use or not. or can I disable "report" tab, and add Power BI report instead

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:35 AM
  • Sharepoint Sites: in the Enterprise Project Type (PWA server settings), you can configure for each project type the sharepoint site creation, location and permission sync. Also you can check the sites and manage them from "Connected Sharepoint Sites".

For your 2nd point, when a user creates a project, he's by default the owner. So a user might have many projects, as many as he created.

For the reporting, I'd suggest to disable REPORTS and dig into PowerBI. You could also have a look to the O365 Portfolio App:

https://store.office.com/en-001/app.aspx?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US&assetid=WA104380116&appredirect=false

Hope this helps,

Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:51 AM
  • Thank you but for the second point, can project maanger see only own projects in project center? I'm not sure what's missing for permission.
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 11:01 AM
  • Are you in SharePoint mode permission or Project Server? Do you see a section "Manage users" in the server settings? Like the security section on this pic:

http://rejcompany.com/sites/default/files/images/pwa1.JPG

I'd suggest to switch to PS permission mode: http://ppmworks.com/change-permission-management-in-project-online/

Then PM should see only their projects. Otherwise, ensure that the PM category has the RBS set the option that the user see only projects he's the owner of?

Some articles about the RBS:

• https://epmxperts.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/managing-security-in-project-server-part-ii-rbs-vs-categories/
    • http://ppmworks.com/rbs-in-project/
    • https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/project/2007/05/25/how-to-setting-up-rbs-security-for-vendor-resources/

Hope this helps,

Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Thank you, I'm in project permission mode. Can Project Online do RBS?
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:52 PM
  • Yes. Sharepoint mode cannot but PS mode can.

Refer to the links above.

Hope this helps,

Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:55 PM