none
Microsoft server 2019 standard NTP server unable to change from local (CMOS) to external time server RRS feed

• Question

• I have spent hours pouring thru tech blogs and nothing is working. I am unable to find the correct settings to make this work. I have tried w32tm.exe /config /manualpeerlist:”{different NTP servers that I pinged}” /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:YES /update and read thru and set and reset registry settings. Is there anything that can bee seen from the enclosed screenshots that may shed some light on this? They won't let me submit this with screenshots until my account has been verified. Respond and I will submit them then, I guess.

Monday, September 14, 2020 12:41 AM

Answers

• I fixed my problem and all is good now. Details enclosed.

Step 1: Open group policy manager and add a new GPO to the primary domain controller (PDC emulator)
    Step 2: Go to edit after saving new policy and drill to computer configuration/policies/administrative templates/system/windows time server/time providers and enable GPO's
    Step 3: Enable "configure windows NTP client and insert NIST.gov servers with the 0x09 flags making sure to add a space between server fqdn's. Set type to NTP and keep the rest of the default settings.
    Step 4: Enable windows NTP server GPO
    Step 5: Write script for WMI filter: "select * from Win32_ComputerSystem where DomainRole=5
    Step 6: Open DHCP manager and go to {Server name}/IPv4/server/004 Time server and 042 NTP server
    Step 7: In each server config add the NIST.gov time servers from NIST web site and resolve.
    Step 8: Open Power Shell and run command: w32tm.exe /config /manualpeerlist: “{NIST.gov servers}” /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update
    step 9: Run command: w32tm.exe /config /update
    Step 10: Run command: restart-Service w32time
    Step 11: Run command: w32tm /query /status to verify that external servers are actually configured and being used.

Final step is to configure any client machines in the domain to authenticate to NTP server and sync to server.

This to be done thru the client machines GPO settings.

Run power shell command: w32tm /query /status on each client to verify operation.

Very similar steps from the articles except that the configuration only seemed to work from Power Shell commands successfully (see article from Jack Stromberg) and that the server would only connect with the NIST.gov external time source servers, not the pool.org servers. Thank you for answering.

• Marked as answer by Terry O'Donal Monday, September 14, 2020 10:08 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2020 10:08 PM

All replies

• There is no attachment, but I would start from the official MSDN page:

Strumenti e impostazioni del servizio Ora di Windows | Microsoft Docs

HTH
    -mario

Monday, September 14, 2020 2:55 PM
  • I fixed my problem and all is good now. Details enclosed.

Step 1: Open group policy manager and add a new GPO to the primary domain controller (PDC emulator)
    Step 2: Go to edit after saving new policy and drill to computer configuration/policies/administrative templates/system/windows time server/time providers and enable GPO's
    Step 3: Enable "configure windows NTP client and insert NIST.gov servers with the 0x09 flags making sure to add a space between server fqdn's. Set type to NTP and keep the rest of the default settings.
    Step 4: Enable windows NTP server GPO
    Step 5: Write script for WMI filter: "select * from Win32_ComputerSystem where DomainRole=5
    Step 6: Open DHCP manager and go to {Server name}/IPv4/server/004 Time server and 042 NTP server
    Step 7: In each server config add the NIST.gov time servers from NIST web site and resolve.
    Step 8: Open Power Shell and run command: w32tm.exe /config /manualpeerlist: “{NIST.gov servers}” /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update
    step 9: Run command: w32tm.exe /config /update
    Step 10: Run command: restart-Service w32time
    Step 11: Run command: w32tm /query /status to verify that external servers are actually configured and being used.

Final step is to configure any client machines in the domain to authenticate to NTP server and sync to server.

This to be done thru the client machines GPO settings.

Run power shell command: w32tm /query /status on each client to verify operation.

Very similar steps from the articles except that the configuration only seemed to work from Power Shell commands successfully (see article from Jack Stromberg) and that the server would only connect with the NIST.gov external time source servers, not the pool.org servers. Thank you for answering.

• Marked as answer by Terry O'Donal Monday, September 14, 2020 10:08 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2020 10:08 PM