Windows 7 - "Phantom/Orphan" Drives - How do you get rid of these? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post my question/problem.

I'm not sure what's causing this on my Win7 machine.  When I click on any of these drive letters, I get this error.  The only two things I plug into my USB 3 port are 1) flash drive 2) portable SSD drive.   I always do an "Eject ..." from the system tray before removing them.  Now every time I plug in my USB drive, it uses next available driver letter.  I'm already up to "V" and soon the machine will run out of letters.  

How do I get rid of them?  All these drive letters you see in the attached screenshots are "orphan".

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Check if you can manually assign the previous letter to the drive:
      1、Right-click on Computer from the start menu
      2、Click on “Manage” from the top icons, to open Computer Management window
      3、Click on the “Disk Management” option
      4、Here, from a list of attached drives select your USB flash  drive
      5、Right-click on the drive of which you want to change the drive letter. Then click on “Change Drive Letter and Paths”. Here you can select “Change” and select a new drive letter.
      6、Click on Yes to confirm.

If it doesn’t work, uninstall and reinstall USB controllers in Device manager to see if it helps.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

I don't see any of those drive letters under computer management. 

I only see my HDD and CD-ROM and that's it.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 2:01 PM
  • The incrementing drive letter is puzzling, but you might find this program helpful to analyze and remove unused drive items.

USBDeview v2.75
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

You might also take a look at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsmoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

• Edited by GTS-NJ Friday, August 24, 2018 2:29 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2018 2:25 PM
  • I can suspect that these drives are created by some software that has virtual CD/DVD drives emulator (like Daemon Tools but here it's some other).

You need to go to the drive properties and check it's vendor. This is how you may know where it goes from. 

Friday, August 24, 2018 4:40 PM