none
Restoring system drive from a external USB drive backup of Server 2016

Question

• Hi

My system drive is dead. So I a small 256GB SSD to test restore on to it. I know it will fit as my system only used 120GB. I used original USB installation media to boot, then I selected repair and got into advanced repair. I can select the restore image but the restore fails right away with the following message.

• Edited by LeoG71 Tuesday, June 05, 2018 12:42 AM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2018 12:35 AM

All replies

• Hi LeoG71,

While recovering the OS to the new Hard disk, please don't keep the original boot disk attached to the System. There is a Disk signature for each hard disk. The signature will collide if the original boot disk signature is assigned to the new disk.

And if you are recovering your operating system to a new hard disk and the source disk have partitions and unallocated space at the end of the disk then the new disk size is at least as big as the partitions size. If you want to restore backup to a smaller disk, the only way is to shrink the partitions.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/63159837-734e-425a-aa52-6a39691c1cca/restoring-windows-7-system-image-to-a-smaller-disk

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 6:05 AM
  • The original disk was removed completely. Because the system drive is dead I can't shrink the system partition.

Should I still be able to restore system drive from the server backup?

Should I try to clean disk with diskpart?

I also think that the USB media the conflict in this case. Am I right?

• Edited by LeoG71 Tuesday, June 05, 2018 12:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2018 12:44 PM
  • Hi LeoG71,

In your current scenario, I suggest you could replace a larger disk and or same size disk with original disk. Then try to restore. And check the results.

You can use the system image created using Windows server backup to restore to a different hard drive. These are the steps:
    1. Boot into the repair disc / Windows installation disc
    2. Select "Reimage your computer"
    3. Connect the disk which contains the backups.
    4. Choose the recommended system image or choose a different one if you wish.
    5. On the next page select the time period of the image you want to restore to. Click Next.
    6. Now choose "Format and repartition disks".
    Go ahead and complete the wizard.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 2:21 AM
  • There is no option "6. Now choose "Format and repartition disks"."

I'm using the installation media and then go into repair instead of installation.

I think the booted USB installation media is set to be using C letter and that is what causing the issue.

Am I right?

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 3:05 AM
  • Hi,

In your scenario, when you boot from the USB drive, could see the backup image?

In general, if you could see, that means this USB could support. If the installation media is not support, we couldn't see any image.

And you could also check the thread discussed before.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/ebe92d4b-83ec-4c93-9e7e-22198246fa7b/create-system-image-and-restore-new-harddrive-via-usb?forum=w7itprogeneral

So as suggested above, could please also test  replace a larger disk and or same size disk with original disk. Then try to restore.

Best Regards,

Mary

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 3:29 AM
  • I get to the point where I select the backup image from my external USB 3tb drive. Interesting that formatting option is checked but grayed out. I can still exclude drives from formatting. I also check to restore only system drive. I have another Space Storage setup with 3 drives in RAID. I don't want those get formatted and restored. Does that make any difference?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 3:37 AM
  • Hi LeoG71,

Based on my knowledge, many backup tools and features doesn't support to restore system image to a new smaller disk. Since this limit,  it is more recommended that you restore to the drive is equal to or larger than the original drive. In windows server backup feature, I haven't find more details about this part. But I have seen some scenarios that windows restore fail or couldn't recognize the new disk when  restoring to smaller disk with windows server backup, replace a large disk could be a workaround. If it possible, you could also test in your environment.

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards,

Mary

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 4:43 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

Thursday, June 07, 2018 8:06 AM
  • I was able to get an old drive with the same amount of space and restore worked. I still want to convert to SSD. Currently, OS takes around 90GB. So I don't understand why client backups can restore to a small drive but server backup itself can't. Being in IT for more than 25 years I would expect backup software to be the same for clients and server. So my next question is. How do I go about it? Do I need to shrink c partition down below the SSD drive and then do the backup and restore? Or something else?
    Thursday, June 07, 2018 12:32 PM
  • It seems now I have issues with the even viewer and get error1067 for Windows Server Essentials Management Service start. 
    Friday, June 08, 2018 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

Your server is a essential server?

If so, I suggest you could check the error discussed in Our essential server forum first.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/11ac54e5-a302-4434-ad3f-5d7f37d0d62b/windows-server-essentials-management-service-not-starting-error-1067-the-process-terminated

Best Regards,

Mary

Friday, June 08, 2018 5:40 AM
  • I'm actually wondering if this is the case. I think my drive was failing and some sectors got corrupted and now backup has corruptions as well. Those corrupted sectors get restored but I will try the suggested link and see if it helps. I might just reinstall WSE into SSD with a fresh start. I'm only using this as a home server.

I'm also wondering, as I added another 2x4gb ram before I converted this server from WHS2011 if my new memory has issues. My WHS2011 never had corruption issues before. I have seen that memory could cause lots of problems even with memory test passed.

Friday, June 08, 2018 12:52 PM