project type in project professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I created some EPT in Project Server 2010 and I want create projects using Project Professional 2010, but I create and publish only "basic project plan" projects type.

How can I create a project setting the correct EPT?

Thank's you!

Samantha

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:45 AM

Answers

• Hi!

I created some EPT in Project Server 2010 and I want create projects using Project Professional 2010, but I create and publish only "basic project plan" projects type.

Thank's you!

Samantha

That basic project plan must be set as the default. You can change this in the server settings. But, if you really want a choice of EPT's it is easier to just create the project in PWA first. That way you can select from the dropdown list. Once you have created the project from there, you can open and edit in project pro.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Thank's you!

Samantha

That basic project plan must be set as the default. You can change this in the server settings. But, if you really want a choice of EPT's it is easier to just create the project in PWA first. That way you can select from the dropdown list. Once you have created the project from there, you can open and edit in project pro.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Thank's, Jack!
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:41 AM
  • me too, with PRoject Professional 2010 logged into project server 2010, cannot see Project Server Templates (EPT)  in file > new > available templates > project server templates. The system displays local templates instead, ans I cannot find a way to select - and instanciate - a project based on EPT in Project Professional.

Missing some settings, or "project server templates" does not mean "EPTs"?

thanks

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:54 AM
  • me too, with PRoject Professional 2010 logged into project server 2010, cannot see Project Server Templates (EPT)  in file > new > available templates > project server templates. The system displays local templates instead, ans I cannot find a way to select - and instanciate - a project based on EPT in Project Professional.

Missing some settings, or "project server templates" does not mean "EPTs"?

thanks

That is correct. An EPT is something which is set up in PWA. It can consist of workflow, project detail pages and a project template, but it does not need to.

The creation of a project from a template does NOT initiate a project with the EPT that the template is part of unless that is the default EPT. To start with a selected NON DEFAULT EPT you would go to PWA / Project Center and create a new project and select the EPT. Because the EPT lives in PWA and not in Project Pro, there is no option to select the EPT from Project Pro - either through template or any other means.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:32 PM
  • This should go without saying, but it was a huge oversight to set things up this way. There is no sense at all in making users change their method of creating a project based upon which project site template they want to use for the site. Ideally, the interface in Project Pro should perform the additional server query to allow the user to select the site template in the Publish dialog box. They can query the templates for selection of a default, there's no reason they can't run the same query when publishing the project, or at least when manually creating the site from within PWA.

To illustrate why this is truly an unacceptable ommission, what if I need to create a project while I don't have access to the server? Apparently the only way I can get my site created using the correct site template is to publish the project without creating a site, and then have a server admin configure the correct site template as the default, and manually create the site for my project, then reset the default template, and hope nobody created a site in the meantime. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:03 PM