none
Configure update services to allow users to install updates with prompt

Question

• Good morning everyone, I am trying to configure my update services to allow user to install updates on their computer. I have it set now where they already have access to the restart button but I would like to configure it to have the Yellow triangle next to restart button showing that there are updates that need to be installed. I would like to do this via GPO, Can anyone point me in that direction?
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 3:28 PM

Answers

• Good morning everyone, I am trying to configure my update services to allow user to install updates on their computer. I have it set now where they already have access to the restart button but I would like to configure it to have the Yellow triangle next to restart button showing that there are updates that need to be installed. I would like to do this via GPO, Can anyone point me in that direction?

Set up the following GPO:

1. Select Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
    2. Edit Configure Automatic Updates and specify as required.
    3. Edit Specify intranet Microsoft update service location if required.
    4. Edit Automatic Updates detection frequency as required.
    5. Enable Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates.
    6. Enable No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installation.
    7. Enable and specify client side targeting if required.

Hope the above helps.

Vlad

Ebor

Friday, May 27, 2016 12:42 AM
  • Hi Richardlaw,

Thanks for your post.

To clarify, what you want to do is that the user will get notify when there are updates is available and user can control the restart, right?

If yes, you could configure the setting Configure Automatic Updates to achieve your goal.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Configure Automatic Updates by Using Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720539(v=ws.10).aspx

In addition, the all setting about updates in GPO are under the path:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Tuesday, June 07, 2016 5:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Richardlaw Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:40 AM

All replies

Set up the following GPO:

1. Select Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
    2. Edit Configure Automatic Updates and specify as required.
    3. Edit Specify intranet Microsoft update service location if required.
    4. Edit Automatic Updates detection frequency as required.
    5. Enable Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates.
    6. Enable No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installation.
    7. Enable and specify client side targeting if required.

Hope the above helps.

Vlad

Ebor

Friday, May 27, 2016 12:42 AM
  • Hi Richardlaw,

Thanks for your post.

To clarify, what you want to do is that the user will get notify when there are updates is available and user can control the restart, right?

If yes, you could configure the setting Configure Automatic Updates to achieve your goal.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Configure Automatic Updates by Using Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720539(v=ws.10).aspx

In addition, the all setting about updates in GPO are under the path:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Tuesday, June 07, 2016 5:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Richardlaw Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

If the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar problem.

Best Regards,

Jay

Friday, June 03, 2016 6:32 AM